Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,822   Posts: 1,581,940   Online: 930

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Hey I have a stupid question about making sure darkslides stay in place

It seems like every so often, I try to pull a film holder out of my bag and it will catch on the darkslide of another film-holder and I'll fog half a sheet of film.

The little locks on the film-holders spin so easily that they're basically useless. Is there any way I can keep this from happening (tape or something?)? Does this happen to anyone else? I can't keep ruining pictures like this!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    One way to avoid this, is to place each holder in it's own ziplock bag...plus you can drop a 3x4 index card to record all data for that holder. Rubber bands will work also...just some ideas...I use the ziplock bags.
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Got the same problem with mine. Was thinking of putting some white glue in the hole and coating the loch with a thin oil and inserting it into holder. after the glue drys using a pair of pliers to loosen lock,thinking that the glue would tighten up the loose treads. Have not tried it yet but just a thought. Or just drill new holes and self thread the lock in.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by srmcnamara View Post
    It seems like every so often, I try to pull a film holder out of my bag and it will catch on the darkslide of another film-holder and I'll fog half a sheet of film.

The little locks on the film-holders spin so easily that they're basically useless. Is there any way I can keep this from happening (tape or something?)? Does this happen to anyone else? I can't keep ruining pictures like this!
    I luckily havent had that problem yet, but I also havent used my LF camera enough to have much of anythink in the way of problems so far

I keep a roll of masking tape to label my three film holders. Perhaps that alone will be enough to hold the darkslides in place? Just a suggestion that may not work.
    "I have captured the light and arrested its flight! The sun itself shall draw my pictures!"

-Louis Daguerre, 1839-

Shooter
    Large Format
    I put my holders in pink anti-static bags (reduces dust-attraction from static charge), then place holders in the bag with long side down so there is no tendency to pull the slide inadvertently when removing them from the bag. Another popular option is to use rubber bands (wider than most) to put around the holder so as to hold the slide in. Try stationery stores, they usually have an assortment of them. Replace them whenever necessary as they don't last forever.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I also have never had that problem. I alternate the film holders so the dark side is up on one then down on the adjacent one and so on. I can't say that is fool proof but it has worked for me.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I'll second photomc's suggestion. I've kept all my filmholders, 4x5 and 8x10, in Ziplocs since I started doing photography in remote areas of the SW. It helps keep them clean, helps prevent the problem that you're experiencing and, as suggested, helps keep info about each holder and its data. In addition, I keep my holders in an appropriately sized cooler to help limit temp fluctuations and help keep them clean. I had a local printing company print cards on hard card stock in a size that will fit with each holder in its ziploc that has info about when the holder was loaded with what film etc.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    The way to avoid this problem is to use an extra low adhesive artist's or masking tape to tape the holders closed. The tape is also used for writing exposure and developing information on it. With the holders taped and locked, there is no problem with accidentally exposing the film. I use zip-lock bags to guard against dust, and I also utilize the black plastic envelopes, which are supplied with photographic film and paper, to store and transport film holders in order to protect them from any possibility of inadvertent accidental exposures in the field.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Also, that is by no means a stupid question.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by M Stat View Post
    Also, that is by no means a stupid question.

A high school teacher of mine told the class one day "there are no stupid questions, just stupid people."

BTW, I agree that this isnt a stupid question. It's a good one that will hopefully enlighten the OP and anyone else afraid to ask
    "I have captured the light and arrested its flight! The sun itself shall draw my pictures!"

-Louis Daguerre, 1839-

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin