Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,846   Posts: 1,582,727   Online: 893

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

MPP Micro Technical Camera MK II - need help with rangefinder linkage

Hi,

I've an old battered MPP Mark III which I am trying to repair.

The range-finder seems to work well, but is not linked to the bed. There is an arm, ending in a small chrome bearing. There is a bracket coming out the the right hand side of the front standard (viewed from the ground glass) which is chromed, parallel to (and just above) the bed and has a 'V' shape cut into it, facing rearwards.

Whatever goes between this bracket and the bearing is missing.

On the MPP users site there is a lot of information about cams for the later models of cameras with instructions on how to make different shapes for different lenses - but nothing for the Mark III.

It actually states in one article:
    "MicroTechnical Cameras Mk's IIR and III do not have Rangefinder Cam Plates."

Does anyone have any idea what should go between the arm and the bracket?

Thanks.
    Steve

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I have a couple of the MPP cameras, one with an intact/complete range finder fitted, the other stripped out. Give me a day or so to find an extension tube for the digisnapper, and I can photograph(sic) the gubbins for you.

The cam plates are attached to a small bracket on the right hand side of the bed about 1.25" from the hinge right next to the V groove - The groove is only there to act as a guide for the RF arm as the case is being closed up. On re-reading your post, I suspect that all you are missing is the cam plate (these are matched to individual lenses so are not interchangeable).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_c5x4 View Post
    I have a couple of the MPP cameras, one with an intact/complete range finder fitted, the other stripped out. Give me a day or so to find an extension tube for the digisnapper, and I can photograph(sic) the gubbins for you.

Yes please, that would be great. There's quite a lot of information on the Net about the later cameras - but I couldn't find a single picture of a MK III that showed this linkage anywhere.
    Thanks!
    Steve

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Please see attached:

Image 01: Cam plate and bracket loosely fitted to the bed track.
    Image 02: Business end of the link arm and it's relationship to the cam plate.
    Image 03: Cam plate and arm in situ on a Mk VII

If you need any further images, just let me know.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MPP-cam-01.jpg   MPP-cam-02.jpg   MPP-cam-03.jpg  
    Last edited by paul_c5x4; 06-06-2011 at 04:05 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi,

Thanks for the reply and taking the trouble to post the pictures.

Unfortunately my camera has a different range-finder, I believe.

The later cameras the range-finder arm seems to move up and down, viewed from the range-finder side it rotates anti-clockwise as the camera bed moved back into the body

My range-finder, being on a MK III, is similar to (maybe the same) as a speed Graphic. The arm moves back and forth, it rotates clockwise as the camera moves back.

I'll attempt to post a picture:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Click on the thumbnail and you'll see the chrome arm of the rangefinder just hanging free. On the front standard is a chrome bracket with the 'V' cut out - but nothing contacts the arm as the bed moves back...
    Last edited by steven_e007; 06-08-2011 at 03:16 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: picture didn't show
    Steve

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by steven_e007 View Post
    My range-finder, being on a MK III, is similar to (maybe the same) as a speed Graphic. The arm moves back and forth, it rotates clockwise as the camera moves back.
    I had a cursory look at the MPP users club site and it did occur to me (during the early hours) that I may have goofed. If the rangefinder on your camera is the Kalart design, perhaps these two might help:
    http://www.speedgraphic.fr/Images/Sp...-47/Fig 68.jpg
    http://lommen9.home.xs4all.nl/aero/page2.html

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin