Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,561   Posts: 1,545,270   Online: 801

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

recover a speed graphic?

Hello, I have a baby speed graphic, (pacemaker 2x3 with a side mounted kalart), that i am trying to bring back from the dead. I bought it off of Ebay as a flood damaged unit and was not expecting much out of it, save for a few spare parts. When it arrived, i was surprised to see that other than a good layer of silt covering most everything, it appeared to be pretty decent. I have been working on it, and at the very least, i will have a much better sense of how these cameras operate. My question is...does anyone know of a source for a "template" for cutting a new leather cover. My leather was so brittle, that it came off in many pieces, and is useless to use as a pattern for a new cover. The wood is still very nice underneath it all, and i could try to leave it uncovered as well, but i thought i would ask you guys first.
    Last edited by phirehouse; 06-10-2011 at 08:33 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I left the wood natural on my one Speed Graphic (pre Anniversary), I just sanded and French polished it. The other was missing it's shutter so I just filled in the hole left where the mechanism should have been and re-covered with leatherette, it was fairly easy there was no need for a template.

It's a non standard Wide angle model.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    nice looking camera, thank-you for the reply. if there is not a template available, i may just take a crack at it without the pattern.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Mine is also varnished wood though the finish isn't as nice as Ian's.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This has been discussed before at www.graflex.com. They will be able to help you.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    This has been discussed before at www.graflex.com. They will be able to help you.

Steve
    Wrong target Steve, Graflex Inc (graflex.com) make target sights, Graflex.org is the one you meant.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There does not seem to be a lot of info, or resources in regards to recovering the speed graphic. I could get leather from camera leather, and I did find the site where the drowned speed graphic camera is restored. However, the camera's old covering was used to fashion a new template which is not an option for me. I was just checking to see if maybe someone had come across a template or made one for their own project. I do think that if i want to go the leather route, with patience and carefull measurements, I will be able to fashion a new cover. I just did not want to waste a bunch of leather in the process.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by phirehouse View Post
    There does not seem to be a lot of info, or resources in regards to recovering the speed graphic. I could get leather from camera leather, and I did find the site where the drowned speed graphic camera is restored. However, the camera's old covering was used to fashion a new template which is not an option for me. I was just checking to see if maybe someone had come across a template or made one for their own project. I do think that if i want to go the leather route, with patience and carefull measurements, I will be able to fashion a new cover. I just did not want to waste a bunch of leather in the process.
    No need to waste any leather. Just make a paper pattern, you can work with your pattern until you are happy with it, then you can transfer to the leather and go for broke.

m
    Michael Cienfuegos

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please feel free to stand in front of them.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I am sure someone at Graflex dot org will know the exact answer to the question.

FWIW, they really don't look bad without the covering. Maybe stain it a bit, rub a thin layer or three of shellac on it, etc. Paint a picture on it...Go to town!
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Large Format
    My first (beater) Graphlex was pretty much skinless when I got it, so I just completed the skinning process, did a little sanding to get rid of old glue, slapped a little stain on it and varnished it. The body of mine was mahogany and I doubt that was just a fluke. So it really looked kinda nice.

Ed
    "I only wanted Uncle Vern standing by his new car (a Hudson) on a clear day. I got him and the car. I also got a bit of Aunt Mary's laundry, and Beau Jack, the dog, peeing on a fence, and a row of potted tuberous begonias on the porch and 78 trees and a million pebbles in the driveway and more. It's a generous medium, photography." -- Lee Friedlander

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin