Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,901   Posts: 1,584,507   Online: 1038

Thread: Macro options

Shooter
    Medium Format

Macro options

I'm looking to do some 4x5 macro work... in the neighborhood of 1:2-2:1 - 3D subjects. My camera has about 13" of bellows.

Which of the following do you recommend? I can find ways to adapt and/or reverse any of them.
    80mm f4 Rodagon
    105mm f5.6 Componon-S
    150mm f5.6 Componon-S
    150mm f5.6 Symmar-S
    110mm f2.8 RZ67 lens

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Timmy, "3D subjects" is irrelevant.

For 2:1 you'll need 3 *f extension. 13" of bellows limits you to a 4" or so lens. 100 mm or so. So much for the 150s. With your camera the highest magnification you can get with a 150 is a little over 1:1.

For 1:2 you'll need 1.5 * f extension. A 150 will be fine for that.

According to Schneider, Componons, including the -S, are optimized for 10x enlargements. In taking, that's 1:10 facing normally and 10:1 reversed. Comparons are optimized for 2x - 6x, so will be better for the range you're interested in. If you are willing to get one, a 105/4.5 Comparon will do for you at 2:1. You might be better off with a 150/5.6 at 1:2. Both fit a #0 shutter, can easily be reversed by swapping the cells front to rear. To get the best all of the lenses you mentioned can give, they should be reversed above 1:1.

The Symmar will be worse closeup than a Componon, plain or -S.

Can't comment on the Rodagon, except that coverage may be a problem at 1:2. Can't comment on the 110/2.8 Mamiya either. Using it closeup doesn't seem like a good idea, but I could well be mistaken.

Why are you asking us instead of asking your lenses? When I want to know whether a lens is usable for macro, I bodge it in front of a Nikon and try it out. If it gives decent results its worth trying on a larger format, if not, well, 35 mm film is cheaper.

What are you going to use for a shutter?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Ok so the Componon-S 105 reversed sounds like the best option so far... perhaps switching out for the Rodagon reversed at higher mag?

Likely hand-shuttering with electronic flash, although it seems the Componon cells might fit into the Copal 0 I've got the Symmar in.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    The Nikkor 120mm macro is a good candidate, too.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Trying to stick to lenses I've got already... I'm trying to save for a 47 or 58XL and some sort of 300mm option...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Timmy, in my experience open flash is very limiting. Ain't no 105 Componon-S. If you have a 105 it is a jes' plain Componon. If it is a -S it is a 100. Doesn't matter, both will go in a #0.

The rule is, facing normally up to 1:1, reversed above 1:1. Clear?

Pinholemaster, the 120 AM-ED Nikkor is a fine lens. But it won't reach the OP's desired 2:1 with only 13" of bellows.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use a Schneider 120mm HM Makro - which has the bonus of being an emergency 120mm lens at infinity, but with no movements. In conjunction with a Maxwell Hi-Lux 4.7 brilliant matt focussing screen it is a doddle to use. The AM ED Nikkor is also excellent but was unavailable when I was hunting for a good 5x4 Macro lens.
    The Thing

Portfolio

Film Cameras currently used:
    Large/Stort-format: Ebony 45SU (field camera), Medium/Medlem-format: Mamiya 7, Hasselblad 503CW
    35mm/Små format: Nikon: F4, D800 (yes digital, I know)

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin