Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,276   Posts: 1,534,744   Online: 912

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mgb74 View Post
    And note that they close at 2pm on Friday.
    With Daylight Savings in effect, Adorama now is open until 5pm on Fridays.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Rahman View Post
    With Daylight Savings in effect, Adorama now is open until 5pm on Fridays.
    Sorry, I meant B&H.
    "Far more critical than what we know or do not know is what we do not want to know." - Eric Hoffer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I go to adorama often, since its only about 10 blocks away, but they have a really tiny corner in the back for chemicals and paper, everything is a bit mixed up and stacked behind each other. the film outside is not refrigerated (btw they only keep out 2 of those ilford buy1 get 1 free hp5+ packs at anytime lol).

The people there dont know much about darkroom processes when I asked and didn't know their products they carried (asked about halo-chrome bottle on display) so its mostly self help (was looking for benzotriazole, but their photographers forumlary section is unorganized and a mess, was told to look for it myself, didnt find =[).

They do have a cool selection of film cameras to oggle. I only go there because I can make a side trip to union square and shoot a bit there.

As a visitor try out BH. And if a 1st time visitor, please check out some of the museums around like the Met you'll love it.

Barry- cool find, I had no idea a store like that existed, I will check it out!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Tough decision. I sure do like to just roam around checking out cameras I have not seen before (older), but I may just need to search around for some smaller spots and at least something closer to pick up a few rolls of film. Thank you for the input everyone.

Newt, I've been to the city quite a few time and there is just not enough time w/o living there, but I do try to make the best of it. As far as museums go, I will be checking out the Guggenheim and the Whitney this time around.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I live close by, but almost never go into either store, but, if I'm going to one its usually B&H (I buy from both though). I'm waiting for a film/chemistry delivery from B&H today in fact.

Some tourist/photog things to do (depending on your photographic interests):

Prospect Park
    Botanical Gardens
    take the ferry to Governors Island (http://www.nps.gov/gois/index.htm) - it's Army Heritage Weekend (Saturday) but it's also punk island weekend (on sunday - part of a city wide music festival)
    There are nice views of the Statue of Liberty from Red Hook (or from Governors Island)
    Just noticing your latest post above, if you're in the vicinity of the Guggenheim, that area of Central Park has some great opportunity)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Not quite around the corner, but drop your wife at Strands used bookstore, if she is at all a reader.

Then go to B&H, as others have suggested. I have not hit Adorama myself.

Then go back to Strands, and find your wife, and she will say, oh, back already?
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Last time I was in NYC I went to B&H, Adorama and Calumet. Calumet is the smallest of the stores, and though it has a lot of specialized items in its inventory, as a store it's nothing different from your midsized-city store. Adorama is welcoming because they have a used equipment counter on the way in, which makes for interesting gear fondling and meetings--I got seriously hammered on an evening out with someone I met over there, in the friendly tradition of Montreal-NYC cultural ties.

But B&H is a trip unto itself because it's so damn big, has the largest counters, a huge darkroom section, and the funniest system of suspended monorail to move the stuff around the store (every section has its checkout counter, and all of your material eventually converges to the cash registers towards exit). And then there's the oddity of being served by Hassidic staff.

In the end, there's maybe nothing you couldn't buy off the online catalog of these stores, but the pleasure of being surrounded by all of that is unique.
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Of course if you buy from the store as oppose on online you can inspect right there.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Mike, she is a reader and I may stop in that book store myself. As for her, this trip is for her 35th b-day and she got a Nook from me. It seems I am the one with a problem of being stuck in the past. I like books with pictures

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think I am going to figure a way to get over to B&H. I have not stepped foot into a real camera store since Copenhagen.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin