Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,898   Posts: 1,584,377   Online: 727

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Large Format
    Check out Lens & Repro, not far from Adorama. Lots of interesting old stuff, there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I fear I'd spend way too much time/$ in either photo store...
    -----------------------

Segedi.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Lens & Repro is way cooler in some ways - it's a camera museum by itself, piled floor to ceiling with camera junk. And most of it you can buy and take home! But B&H is by far the better of the two stores. Just go if you can during the week in the middle of the day when it's a bit quieter (if such a thing can be said of B&H - it seems like it is ALWAYS a zoo in there, especially on Sundays).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My wife is not all that interested in photography, but she enjoyed going to B&H. The inventory management system has to be seen to be believed. You'll hear it before you see it, most likely.

I popped into Adorama a few days later to pick up something I'd forgotten at B&H and the service I got there was excellent. It's not a spectacular store but it's very good as far as what is carried.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by PhotoJim View Post

I popped into Adorama a few days later to pick up something I'd forgotten at B&H and the service I got there was excellent. It's not a spectacular store but it's very good as far as what is carried.
    Thank you; really appreciate the feedback.

There was mention above of store hours - these are Adorama's, currently:
    Sun. 9:30am to 5:00pm
    Mon. - Thurs. 9:00am to 8:00pm
    Fri. 9:00am to 5:00pm
    Eastern time.
    Saturday we are closed

I can't pretend that Adorama is anywhere nearly as big as other stores - and we don't have the little train system overhead.....

So for those of you who may never come to see us:

This is the store:
    http://www.kenrockwell.com/trips/2009-08-nyc/19b.htm

This is our warehouse:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKwyd...eature=related

And this is our brand new Pro depatment which opened just a couple of weeks ago:
    http://www.adorama.com/alc/blogarticle/13080

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, the trip is now over and went as expected for my time in camera stores. Not much! I did not make it into B&H, Adorama, Calumet (though had no interest on this one), or Lens and Repro. Also didn't make it to any of the Books stores listed in this thread. What I ended up with was very little. I did pick up at the Brooklyn Flea in Williamsburg was a not so cosmetically pretty folder. It's a Ernemann, which I had never heard of, but picked it up because it had a Carl Zeiss Jena Tessar 4.5 12cm lens on it and the shutter fires at all speeds very nicely. A project for sure and had a roll of Verichrome Pan in it. I think it could be fun once I get a chance to go through it. The interior of the camera looks great. all shiney parts are shiney, scales are there, moves well, lens is dusty, but clear of scratches, just the leather is haggard. Also found a Darlot in a case, but it was beat up pretty good and he would not come off $275?

Then the only real camera store I got into was K&M Camera on Broadway. Small section of darkroom stuff in the back and nice to stare at, but not really worth trying to pick something up for an out-of-towner. I was asked if I needed help by about 10 different people, most of which with a look as if it might be troubling to them if I said yes. One younger guy helped me find a price on a back pack I was very interested in. Clik Elite :http://www.adorama.com/CEKBLTPBK.htm...m_source=gbase I had never seen this pack before and at the time seemed like a great idea as it has a metal frame around it with a tripod mount on top. Looked like you could easily flip the pack to your front and shoot. Would have come in handy as I traveled with my mini speed graphic. It was nicked up pretty bad and assumed they would offer a substantial discount. They did not and priced it at $180. They got to keep that one. In a small case next to the darkroom products was a tall thin glass case with some LF lenses in the bottom. Very over priced on what I could see, and I could not tell the size on one that I thought might be a 90mm (unpriced). I asked to see it. A different guy opened the case and handed it to me. It was a 150mm and I did not need it, so I handed it back. He, no joke, literally tossed in back in the bottom of the case on top of the other lenses. I felt like taking every lens in that case, stuffing them in my pack and running like I was saving an abused bunch of puppies. I honestly couldn't believe my eyes. The only real nice person I found in there was from the rental department and he asked if he could help me, because I wandered into the rental area thinking it was part of the store. Prior to this, no one had spoken to me for the ten minutes I had been there looking around. He offered for me to hang out a bit as he had the only good A/C spot in the store.

Wished I had more time to see some other stores but it will have to wait until next time. I will say this for New York though, I had four days of the best food I have ever tasted and drank many, many brewery brews. About 50/50 in city and Brooklyn.

Thank you all for the input and I hope to visit again soon.

Jody

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I read a couple of pages today on my newly acquired Ernemann (Bob V) and now getting very excited to get it into working shape. Seems like it is missing it's front plate foot. Going to need to start a new thread i think.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by HelenOster View Post
    Thank you; really appreciate the feedback....

I can't pretend that Adorama is anywhere nearly as big as other stores - and we don't have the little train system overhead.....
    You're welcome - and the store is still worth a visit.

My cache of Velvia for this trip to Nova Scotia came by courier from Adorama just last week...

Jim
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin