Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,333   Posts: 1,537,448   Online: 1082

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Adorama & B&H, worth checking out? In person?

I am going to be in NY (staying in Brooklyn) for a couple of short days with lots to do. Any benefit to making a special trip to walk into these two stores?

Are there any other suggestions to a smaller store I might enjoy more?

Looking for interesting deals on used equipment, B&W film, maybe some darkroom accessories, overall interesting. Plus it could make the difference as to how much film I bring with me, though I will be shooting a TLR as I don't have the time for LF.
    Last edited by JMC1969; 06-14-2011 at 08:42 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: title change

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I live in NYC and visit both stores about once monthly. I don't think either is worth it to explore good deals on used equipment. IMHO, Adorama is slightly better when it comes to pricing and rating some of their used gear. B&H is not good at all on used gear.

But I would still choose B&H if you only had to visit one. Much, much bigger store, and vastly more interesting and fun shopping experience. You can (and many do) spend hours and hours there just playing with stuff. The "hands on" shopping and browsing experience at B&H is without peer in the U.S., I think. Also, B&H still refrigerates film, the last I checked. Adorama does not.

Prices on new gear are about the same in both stores, and both are extremely reliable and trustworthy if you choose to buy. B&H has a slightly better return policy.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The inventory handling at B&H is an attraction in itself.

IDK it was cool once to see all that junk in one place but... it's mostly new wizbang stuff.

If you do stop in got to the darkroom section and chat up the personnel there.
    Every little bit helps.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    B&H is definitely worth the trip! Adorama--not so much. Don't forget--closed on Saturdays. Also, Dashwood books, if you like contemporary photography books.

http://www.dashwoodbooks.com/about.c...il=&menu=about

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thank you for the opinions. I mainly ask because I split from my group of peeps to travel a pretty good distance away from where I was, while in San Francisco to visit the Calumet store. Had I known........................

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Barry, I just did a quick look around at the page (link you provided), is this entire store nothing but photography books? That's just plain cool.
    Last edited by JMC1969; 06-14-2011 at 09:00 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: wording

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have been to both locations and echo Shawn's comments as they match perfectly with my experiences.
    Jason

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    It's nothing but photography books--and it is a very cool store. They have all sorts of small edition books and not the common books you see everywhere. The ICP is also worth a visit and they have a great bookstore. The only problem is it's very small and usually crowded, so it's not a pleasant browsing experience. Dashwood is not so well known and larger--a real gem.

Quote Originally Posted by JMC1969 View Post
    Barry, I just did a quick look around at the page (link you provided), is this entire store nothing but photography books? That's just plain cool.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's the wife's birthday trip, so crossing town for hours of eye candy might not happen. I need a "good" excuse, you know? So far I'm not finding it.

So, any small spots in Brooklyn to check out? At some point Saturday I will be near or in McCarren Park.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry S View Post
    B&H is definitely worth the trip! Adorama--not so much. Don't forget--closed on Saturdays. ...

And note that they close at 2pm on Friday.
    "Far more critical than what we know or do not know is what we do not want to know." - Eric Hoffer

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin