Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,212   Posts: 1,532,099   Online: 1224

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Schneider-K 180mm f/5.6 Symmar (convertible) in Press Camera? Will it fit?

I'm planning to get a B&J Press, a Busch Pressman or a Tower Press 4x5".

Will I have any trouble with this lens on any of these cameras? I'm guessing that I won't be able to close it up, but hopefully I'm wrong...

It's mounted in a Synchro-Compur, for what it's worth.

Here's a picture: http://www.photila.com/productdetail...id=0&brand_id=

Here's the S-K info: http://www.schneideroptics.com/info/...5,6-180mm.html

It says the overall length is 56mm.

This eBay auction #130533509818 has a good picture as well.

Thanks for your help!
    If you are the big tree, we are the small axe

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Should work great. My 150mm Symmar-S makes my Busch Pressman hard, but possible, to close, so I'm guessing a 180 wouldn't close.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I heard over on LFF that Busch Pressman cameras might have a shorter tolerance than the others (??). I'd like to be able to close it with the 180mm lens, but it's sounding more and more like no.

Thanks for the response

PDH

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think the Pressman C and D have 12 inches of bellows, so a 180mm should work just fine, although you will need a 180mm cam to match the rangfinder. For that matter even a 300mm will work at infinity.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The question in my original post is stated poorly, but basically I'm just curious if I can close the camera with the lens mounted.

Though, you raise an additional question... I've been leaning towards the Kalart rangefinder because it's adjustable to any focal length (as I understand). How quick is this operation? Are the Hugo-Meyer, Focuspot, Tower and any other RF's adjustable, or do they use cams?

In my mind, the ideal would be the ability to change between lenses at will and retain RF function. But I have a feeling that it's a little more involved than that. Sooo, do cams make this operation quicker? And what RF's have cams?

Is the Hugo-Meyer

PDH

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I am not sure about a Pressman, but I can close a 210 on my Speed and Crown, really tight. Most Press Type Camera have cams, the top rangfinder Speeds and Crown have interchangble cams as does Lindof. A couple of web sites list directions for making cams for top rangfinder Speeds and Crowns. The Bessler Press camera have a set of cams built in. I have only seen a couple of Bessler Press camera over the years, seems to have been make for the Air Force and perhaps the Army, but I never saw one when I was in the Air Force in the 70s. Unless you want to shoot barrel lens and want the focal plan shutter I recommend a Super Crown. If you can afford a Lindof, a very good camera, as prices drop I very very tempted.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks PDH,

I'm really focused on the cameras mentioned in my 1st post. All of those can be had for less than $200, and by all accounts are great cameras. Plus, rotating back is a boon.

All the Graflex & Linhof's go for much more if I'm not mistaken.

Hmm, yes, the Beseler seems to be a rare duck! I don't know if I've seen one yet in my search.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin