Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,519   Posts: 1,572,208   Online: 1000

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Sinar Norma question

I can't believe I'm asking this as it seems utterly ridiculous if it doesn't .... BUT ... do the Norma backs slip out of the rear standard in order that you can go from landscape (which it appears always to be when I see an illustration of one) to go into portrait format
    OR do you have to physically undo the rail clamp and tip the whole thing over? Seems daft to me if thats the case but from illustrations I've seen the camera does not appear to be 'square' enough to entertain a simple turning of the film holder.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Yes, the back unclips and can be rotated between landscape and portrait orientation. Despite how it might look in illustrations in photographs, this is how this camera works.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Philip, Thank you; I should have specified it is a 5x7 that I am referring to. They always look very rectangular, landscape style.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Oh, I see. Well, I've never used a 5x7 Norma myself, so I'd best allow someone who has give a more definitive response.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I think it rotates...
    I looked through the glennview site as they have some pictures of norma stuff and it looks like they show a 5x7 back mounted on the support rails in the vertical position. it is on a format change back, so I dunno if there is a difference.
    here, i'll link the page: http://www.glennview.com/sinar.htm

Shooter
    Large Format
    ColinRH,
    The 5x7 groundglass holder has a square interface with the rear standard and unclips to change from landscape to portrait orientation. The two clips (one on each side of the GG) are large spring-loaded sliders that are designed to be "pinched" together using thumb + another finger.

If you wish to work with 4x5, you would need the 5x7 > 4x5 adapter - which replaces the 5x7 GG holder, using these same clips - then the 4x5 GG holder attaches to the adapter, using the "usual type" sliders located on the adapter. The "usual type" is the kind that attaches the lens board.
    Last edited by silveror0; 06-18-2011 at 02:30 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Thanks all, I have now purchased a 5x4/5x7 Norma and am looking forward to having a good time with her. C.

Shooter
    Large Format
    ColinRH,
    Just in case you're not aware of this, people sometimes think they can use 13x18 cm film in 5x7 holders but it won't work. The 13x18 film (common in Europe) is just a bit too wide.

Shooter
    Large Format
    ColinRH,
    You may find this website useful. It contains the Sinar Norma Instruction Manual. The home page can direct you to a host of data on various LF equipment.

http://www.cameraeccentric.com/html/info/sinar_1.html

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin