Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,956   Posts: 1,522,957   Online: 1218

Shooter
    Multi Format

Seeking lens info

How can you tell the image circle size of a lens?
    I am in the market for a LF lens for 4x5 view camera that I am planning to build.
    Are there web sites for lens specs?

Also, what would be the ideal image circle for the 4x5 with a 15 degree max shift.
    Thanks

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There are many lists posted on the 'net. Here's one: http://graflex.org/lenses/lens-spec.html And here's a Google query that will find many: http://www.google.com/search?q=%22la...fe=images&tbs=

There are many many lenses so all of the lists are incomplete. Many are compilations of manufacturers' claims published in catalogs. These are often, especially for older lenses, exaggerated, sometimes greatly exaggerated.

Shift is measured in linear units (miles, yards, feet, inches, ...), tilt in degrees. Which do you mean?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This might be helpful.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks Dan for the sites. A few bookmarked.

Re shift, I was referring to angle of offset. 15 degrees of a 150mm FL is equal to approx 40mm (1.5 inches) up/down.

Based on simple calculation, I need a lens that covers 8" x 4" rectangular coverage or 9" (230mm) image circle.
    Does this sound right?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiteymorange View Post
    This might be helpful.
    Thanks

mjs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Most of us just check the lens specification tables at www.largeformatphotography.info

On the front page, scroll down.

Mike
    Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming– “Wow! What a Ride!”

— Hunter S. Thompson

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin