Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,197   Posts: 1,531,433   Online: 838

Thread: Fresnel Lens

Shooter
    Multi Format

Fresnel Lens

I noticed that the 45CX that I bought recently had a Fresnel Lens on it and I was wondering if it should be in front of or behind the ground glass?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The ground side of the ground glass needs to be closest to the lens. The fresnel needs to be closest to you, it's just a magnifier to help you see the ground glass image better.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have heard however that the fresnel does better on the side closest to the lens. You have to make sure you're focusing on the GG and not the fresnel though.

This is just what another member has said, so I can't say from experience. In this situation the fresnel isn't actually magnifiying, but is evening out the light it receives.
    If you are the big tree, we are the small axe

Shooter
    Large Format
    The only way to know for sure on a given camera is to measure the 'T' depth to the GG. The ground surface of the GG needs to be the same distance from the ground class carrier's bearing surface as the film plane in the holder is from it's bearing surface.

On my Crown Graphic, the fresnel goes between the lens and the GG.

Ed
    "I only wanted Uncle Vern standing by his new car (a Hudson) on a clear day. I got him and the car. I also got a bit of Aunt Mary's laundry, and Beau Jack, the dog, peeing on a fence, and a row of potted tuberous begonias on the porch and 78 trees and a million pebbles in the driveway and more. It's a generous medium, photography." -- Lee Friedlander

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I have an Ebony and my Fresnel goes behind the ground glass (ie the side away from the lens)

The prisms also point away from the lens

Martin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It makes a difference. I'd "Ask Toyo..." http://www.toyoview.com/AskToyo/asktoyo.html

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I have a Linhoff and the Fresnel is in front of the glass. However, I think most view cameras have it the other way around.
    Dan's website: www.dandozer.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the info and it is presently behind the GG.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin