Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,821   Posts: 1,581,788   Online: 1028

Shooter
    35mm

Horseman Press camera...information needed please

Hi Everybody,
    I have been looking at an interesting camera. It came from a long closed photography studio in a nearby town. The studio operated from about 1978 until 1994 and then closed. They used this camera in this studio. It says Horseman Press on it and has serial #403427. I has a lens marked Horseman PS 1/3.5 f105cm #843090 Seikcosha SLV.

I have looked on the web for information but find very little on Horseman. It also has two roll film backs that say Horseman 10exp/120 on them and they are lever advance style.

I did not take any photos yet of it. The elderly lady that owns this camera seem a bit fragile and I did not want to cause too much fuss at the time I viewed it.

Any information that you can share with me concerning this camera would be most appreciated. I know this is not alot of information to work with. I would like to purchase this camera from her and would like to see if it would be useful for my landscapes. I hike into the remote woods and take photos of old mines and equipment and love black and white film.

I have never seen a Horseman camera before and would love some opinions from the forum. Thankyou all for your help.

Bob

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    From what I've heard, Horseman field cameras are pretty well thought off. They made both 4x5 (in inches) and 6x9 (in cm) cameras. I'm guessing that the lens is marked 105mm or 10.5cm and therefore this is a 6x9 camera. I think a 6x9 camera is ideal if you hike in but film choice is a bit more restrictive.

The Seikosha shutter suggests an older lens. Expect that the shutter may need service. Also, parts for Seikosha shutters are, as I understand, no longer available except as harvested from one of the millions of other Seikosha shutters out there.

I do remember reading that there was some issue about film back compatibility with Horsemans and even different models of Horseman. I may be mistaken.

If the lens is 105mm (or 10.5cm) and the camera is a 6x9, you might find it a bit long for landscapes (it's roughly a "normal" lens). In my opinion, you need to get down to about 75mm to be useful. But much depends on the location and your personal style.

If you don't get the Horseman, you may want to consider a Century Graphic, another 6x9 press camera.
    "Far more critical than what we know or do not know is what we do not want to know." - Eric Hoffer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Here's an interesting thread on Photo.net -> http://photo.net/large-format-photography-forum/00LUeM

I know little about them, other than that they appear to be beautifully made, high-end cameras.
    If you are the big tree, we are the small axe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    It's not junk... of course this particular one may be if it's all dirty and banged up, or if the lens shutters are sticking.
    If it works, it's worth what she is willing to sell it for and you are willing to pay.
    I'd say if it's clean and works with a couple backs and a couple lenses $150 would be a steal, and $450 would be robbery.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think the "Horseman Press" was similar or identical to a 970, 980 or 985. A picture would be nice if available.
    Here is some info, plus you can google for 970, 980 or 985.
    http://www.bnphoto.org/bnphoto/LFN/C..._Horseman1.htm

Shooter
    35mm
    Thankyou everyone for the great information. I am hoping that someone will have seen this Horseman Press model and have a bit more info for me about it and their history. This particular camera seems to be in very nice condition considering it has been just sitting on a shelf for at least 17 years. I am sure it needs to get out and make photos again. I am sure to have many,many more questions about these cameras. Thanks again for your help.

Bob

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Personally I love the Horseman line of cameras! I have a Horseman 4x5 LE that is the BEST view camera I have ever owned(and I have owned many!), I rate it 2nd to a LinHolf and that is really saying something! Marvelous cameras! Enjoy.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin