Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,577   Posts: 1,545,718   Online: 782

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    Oh my! Maybe I should use a Dremel or hand tools instead of having a co-worker use his milling machines and drill presses in his garage on the weekends! Silly me!
    Unfortunately many of us have neither a Brigeport mill in the garage or a friend who does. I once had both but, alas, no more.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A file?? But but but....I wanna get a new Dremel!!! Okay, I'll get a Dremel and make the big cuts, then I'll use a file.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I find that a Barrett 50cal at 2000 yards makes just about the size hole that I need any closer than that has a tendency to obliterate the lens board.
    Last edited by guitstik; 06-28-2011 at 03:43 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Thy heart -- thy heart! -- I wake and sigh,
    And sleep to dream till day
    Of the truth that gold can never buy
    Of the bawbles that it may.

www.silverhalidephotography.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The small Dremel sanding drums, maybe 1/2 inch round? are good for final shapping and smoothing on a job like this.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    How much is a "bit" . Clamp and a hole saw if its more than a few mm. Otherwise a handfile for me too.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There are rubbery sanding pieces that will slowly grind something down. I can't remember their part # and I'd have to feel one to know rather than see a photo. When I was restoring serial numbers at the crime lab, that's what we used to make the area a smooth surface before applying the acids. Anything else took it down too fast. We didn't get aluminum too often, but we did see it occasionally - same procedure.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I would recommend a nibbling tool for the gross cutting, following up with either a dremel or a file for the final cleanup.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yea go forth with the file and do no evil.
    The hole saw, you're going to make an accurate center point and secure the board to it or it's really going to get messed up.

You need the Dremel! The work station is pretty neat too, I put that off for a long time and now wonder why.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I like the idea of using the Barrett.
    Michael Cienfuegos

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please feel free to stand in front of them.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Most "machine shops" that cater to working with auto-repair shops for cylinder boring, etc... are generally more than willing to help someone out, at least from MY experience. Before I had money in my pocket, I scraped together my pennies to buy a 6-pack of Bud and made a swap for my "small projects" like boring/enlarging a lensboard(s).

Usually they were more than willing, I'm sure its an "industry-wide practice/standard"

-Dan

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin