Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,316   Posts: 1,536,739   Online: 1017

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

My NYC Trip-Finds & Experiences

This is a follow up thread from a question I posted i a few weeks ago found here;
    http://www.apug.org/forums/forum44/9...-person-3.html

I posted this reply at the end, but wanted to get some other feedback on the camera I found and the experience I had with the camera store.

Well, the trip is now over and went as expected for my time in camera stores. Not much! I did not make it into B&H, Adorama, Calumet (though had no interest on this one), or Lens and Repro. Also didn't make it to any of the Books stores listed in this thread. What I ended up with was very little. I did pick up at the Brooklyn Flea in Williamsburg was a not so cosmetically pretty folder. It's a Ernemann, which I had never heard of, but picked it up because it had a Carl Zeiss Jena Tessar 4.5 12cm lens on it and the shutter fires at all speeds very nicely. A project for sure and had a roll of Verichrome Pan in it. I think it could be fun once I get a chance to go through it. The interior of the camera looks great. all shiney parts are shiney, scales are there, moves well, lens is dusty, but clear of scratches, just the leather is haggard. Also found a Darlot in a case, but it was beat up pretty good and he would not come off $275?

Then the only real camera store I got into was K&M Camera on Broadway. Small section of darkroom stuff in the back and nice to stare at, but not really worth trying to pick something up for an out-of-towner. I was asked if I needed help by about 10 different people, most of which with a look as if it might be troubling to them if I said yes. One younger guy helped me find a price on a back pack I was very interested in. Clik Elite :http://www.adorama.com/CEKBLTPBK.htm...m_source=gbase I had never seen this pack before and at the time seemed like a great idea as it has a metal frame around it with a tripod mount on top. Looked like you could easily flip the pack to your front and shoot. Would have come in handy as I traveled with my mini speed graphic. It was nicked up pretty bad and assumed they would offer a substantial discount. They did not and priced it at $180. They got to keep that one. In a small case next to the darkroom products was a tall thin glass case with some LF lenses in the bottom. Very over priced on what I could see, and I could not tell the size on one that I thought might be a 90mm (unpriced). I asked to see it. A different guy opened the case and handed it to me. It was a 150mm and I did not need it, so I handed it back. He, no joke, literally tossed in back in the bottom of the case on top of the other lenses. I felt like taking every lens in that case, stuffing them in my pack and running like I was saving an abused bunch of puppies. I honestly couldn't believe my eyes. The only real nice person I found in there was from the rental department and he asked if he could help me, because I wandered into the rental area thinking it was part of the store. Prior to this, no one had spoken to me for the ten minutes I had been there looking around. He offered for me to hang out a bit as he had the only good A/C spot in the store.

Wished I had more time to see some other stores but it will have to wait until next time. I will say this for New York though, I had four days of the best food I have ever tasted and drank many, many brewery brews. About 50/50 in city and Brooklyn.

Thank you all for the input and I hope to visit again soon.

Jody
    So I am not in search of a front plate front for the Ernemann or a cheap, for parts, second camera I can strip from. I have read up a bit on the company and I'm very excited about getting this into user shape.

I would also like to hear from anyone that may have experience with the backpack I mentioned. http://www.adorama.com/CEKBLTPBK.htm...rce=cj_4169948 Is it as useful as I think it might be? I am now thinking about it's use with my Meridian 45B.

I really can't wait to return, the trip was just far too short.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by JMC1969 View Post
    in city and Brooklyn.
    I'm a lifelong Bridge-and-Tunneler myself, but I know some folks in the outer boroughs might not like the suggestion they are not in the "city"!

Hope you do get back soon, just spent a day+ in the city myself and saw only a fraction of what I'd like to, though of course I spent more than I hoped.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well I certainly do not mean to upset anyone with the comment. Personally I found Brooklyn to be awesome and have been fantasying about living there since I returned home. Quite frankly, if I was dropped off in Williamsburg, Soho, Tribeca or Greenwich village it would take a few landmarks to tell you which one I was in. I use these as examples because they are areas I visited in this trip. I certainly enjoy the small shops over the BIG towering stores. It feels more personable and filled with a mix of locals and not (me).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    JMC1969- Don't worry, I was sort of kidding. I don't think anyone took literal offense.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I was in NYC a couple of weeks after you, and made my first visit to B&H. It seems like a very good establishment, but the film camera and darkroom departments were not as deeply merchandised as I would have hoped. There was some 'blad and Mamiya MF stuff there, but almost no large format. The darkroom department had lots of gadgets, some chemistry and paper, but no enlargers.

Not criticizing, because they need to go where their business needs them to go, which today is digital. I think I was 15 years late in my visit!

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Quote Originally Posted by billbretz View Post
    ...I know some folks in the outer boroughs might not like the suggestion they are not in the "city"!
    Growing up in Brooklyn (Park Slope) 60 years ago, we always felt insulted if someone referred to us as "city" people. The City was Manhattan. Period.

There was always a lingering resentment amongst Brooklynites for having our independence taken away when the various areas around Manhattan were joined into one political entity. What the heck - we had our own baseball team, you know Some might say we had our own language.

Charley

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin