Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,488   Posts: 1,571,324   Online: 860

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Square format LF?

Guys, are there any square format LF cameras?

I'm thinking of dipping my toe in LF next year, I really love 6x6 and thinking of a bigger square neg, is it possible?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You would have to get special cut film it it was a dedicated square format LF camera. What you could do is get a mask for the film holder that would essentially give you the same square format on what ever format camera you get.
    Non Digital Diva

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Can't you just crop the image to a square once it's shot?

joe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Symchyshyn
    Can't you just crop the image to a square once it's shot?
    joe
    Sorry Joe, I know its obvious to just crop but I have this square addiction

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggie
    What you could do is get a mask for the film holder that would essentially give you the same square format on what ever format camera you get.
    Thanks Aggie, do you think that would be possible with the Sinar F1 or F2?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    In that case, if you're REALLY stuck on square... You could mark the darkslide at what point it needs to be drawn out to give you an automatic cropper. Simply slide it out to the line, take the shot, flip it over and voila! A big blank spot will be left on the film.

Make 2 marks on both ends so that the square is true and not lopsided...

That's definitely the easiest way... (Just make sure you mark the ground glass to what side you bias the shot when you compose)

joe

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Or better yet...

Make a mask darkslide (ie: a darkslide with most of the slide removed)

Take out your darkslide, pop in the new mask darkslide, take the shot, put the real slide back in...

Same as the above idea, but without all the muss and fuss of marking every holder... As well as the possibility of lopsided crops.

The bender camera system uses a similar darkslide to get 4x10s on 8x10 sheets...

joe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    neat idea, wouldnt be too difficult to cut a darkslide out methinks

Images
    I would just tape off the Ground Glass to a square and not hassle with custom film, holders and carriers. That way you'll be able to concentrate on composing to the square format without distraction while shooting. It is simple enough to crop the neg in the darkroom.
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you're going to mask a negative to square in the camera, it doesn't make much sense unless you're planning to contact print. Otherwise it's a lot simpler to crop during enlarging. Joe's suggestion of a masking dark slide makes a lot of sense, especially from an economic point of view. Depending on the size of the cutout, the mask could become a bit fragile. You might consider another material such as glass epoxy sheet or aluminum (or even aluminium ) and have a machine shop do a neat job.

The square idea isn't new. Butch Welch built a 9x9 with the intent of contact printing on platinum.

-Will
    My Verito page

Anyone can appreciate a fine print. But it takes a real photographer to appreciate a fine negative.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin