Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,279   Posts: 1,534,851   Online: 738

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    Is this a troll? Or a knowledgable question? The lenses were made by Fujinon Inc. which in 2010 was absorbed into Fujifilm Corporation, from which it originated. The lens division is now called Fujifilm - Optical Devices Division.

Anyway, if you like Fuji lenses here is an inside look at the lens manufacturing plant. Very impressive:

http://www.fdtimes.com/articles/fuji...n_300HiRez.pdf
    Coming from small formats, Fujinon lenses are new to me.
    There are many OEMs who make lenses for others so the question.
    Thanks for the link.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Pupfish View Post
    The Caltar IIN series are the very same lenses as the Rodenstock APO Sironar N and Grandagon N, just engraved differently and sold by Calumet. Calumet is a large educational supplier and a large fraction of Caltar IINs that come up on the used market have seen minimal use. Brand name recognition being what it is the Caltars are real bargains in the used marketplace. The 210mm f/5.6 ones (301mm IC) routinely sell for less than $200 in pristine condition on eBay. Mine is exquisite--as is my 135mm Caltar IIN.
    Yes, I noticed very attractive prices and also was wondering who made them. Good to know.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by eSPhotos View Post
    Coming from small formats, Fujinon lenses are new to me.
    There are many OEMs who make lenses for others so the question.
    Thanks for the link.
    The large format Fujinon lenses are one of the the best secrets in LF photography. They made some very fantastic lenses and they almost always sell for much less than German large format lenses on the used market. Not only that, they are one of the few CURRENT manufacturers of large format lenses for those that want to buy NEW.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I like my 150 Nikon. Make sure that the Sironar's and Symmar's are the multicoated versions. Some early versions might not be. As people say they are pretty much the same in performance so get the one in best condition. Probably the best 150 is the Sironar S. If you can afford it go that route. Don't forget it may cost more but also has better resale value if you need to sell.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I had to revive this thread to thank you guys for helping me selecting lenses.
    I ended up getting a Sironar-N 210mm and a Fujinon W 150mm MC.
    Now I think I need a 90mm and a new camera or 2 or 3 ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Sironar-N is an apochromatic design, from before they prepended the APO designation to the name.

- Leigh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yeah, just done some test shots with the Sironar-N and I quite like it.
    Only issue with this lens is that I can't close the front cover of my Crown Graphic with the lens in. The lens is too big.
    I haven't received the Fujinon yet. Hope it's small enough to fit in the camera for easy transportation.

I am interested in Schneider Angulon 90mm f6.8. Anybody has opinion on this lens?
    Most 90mm are quite bulky but this one is so tiny.
    cheers

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I've got the Caltar IIN version of the 210mm Sironar N, and two Meridians (a 45B and a 45C). The lens just fits inside these cameras when they're folded closed, but only due to a custom aluminum board I machined out of 1/4" plate that has a 3/16 recess. I'd expect that among folding metal fields few or no other cameras are going to close with this lens mounted. (A Nikon SW 90mm f/8 fits inside a closed up Meridian on a flat board-- but not with the standard Nikon lens cap!)

It's my understanding that Linhof Technikas won't fold up with Sironar 150mm's mounted on flat boards.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    There's nothing to choose between any of the 3 you've listed, get which ever's the best bargain.
    I agree 100%. There haven't been many bad large format lenses made, especially not by any of those companies.

I will just add that the lens board that comes (or doesn't come) with the lens is also a part of what might make it "the best bargain." A lens that comes pre mounted on the lens board that you need for your camera not only saves you money, but saves you a search and waiting time.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Pupfish, if I grind the bottom flange of the rail the lens just fits inside without the cap on but I think I just work around it even its a PITA to travel with.

2F, yeah I figured that out when I checked the price of Graphics lens board. Luckily, the Sironar came with a graphics lens board.
    This lens has Copal #1 and others are #0 so it's good to have its own.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin