Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,956   Posts: 1,522,848   Online: 1066

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Will a Graflex Reflex work with standard film holders?

Hi, all -

I'm reading conflicting info on this: Will the Series B Graflex Reflex (non-RB) work with standard film holders (4x5 in this case) or do they require special ones with slots along the sides?

Thanks.
    Scott

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It depends on what type of back the camera has. Most Graflex SLRs came with a Graflex back and use the slotted type holders.
    Dave

"She's always out making pictures, She's always out making scenes.
    She's always out the window, When it comes to making Dreams.

It's all mixed up, It's all mixed up, It's all mixed up."

From It's All Mixed Up by The Cars

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Completely incompatible with current holders? How hard would it be to adapt a Graflok back to one of these?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bliorg View Post
    Completely incompatible with current holders? How hard would it be to adapt a Graflok back to one of these?
    Probably a little hard, but well worth doing. Mounting it is not hard. The problem is that it has to be placed perfectly, or else your focusing screen and your film plane will not match.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    Probably a little hard, but well worth doing. Mounting it is not hard. The problem is that it has to be placed perfectly, or else your focusing screen and your film plane will not match.
    I have a Graflock that includes both the focusing screen and the mounting plate. If it'd fit, it would ensure precise alignment of the screen and film plane...

What's reasonable for a 4x5 non-RB series B?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a Graflock that includes both the focusing screen and the mounting plate. If it'd fit, it would ensure precise alignment of the screen and film plane...

What's reasonable for a 4x5 non-RB series B?
    I'm not so sure that having the mounting plate would ensure proper calibration with the focusing screen. It may not even be close, as the RB is an earlier design with a different back. Ask Steve to find out; he did the conversion.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Hmm. I'm not picturing this, and the slotted holders seem to be kind of expensive. Maybe I should pass on this for now...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I just found slotted holders for my Graflex RB Super D.
    Dave

"She's always out making pictures, She's always out making scenes.
    She's always out the window, When it comes to making Dreams.

It's all mixed up, It's all mixed up, It's all mixed up."

From It's All Mixed Up by The Cars

Shooter
    Multi Format
    slotted holders are probably less expensive than regular ones ...
    look for bag magazines as well ( bag mags )
    they work great !

you might find holders at mpex ( midwest photo exchange ) ask for jim
    and he will treat you right ..

john
    ask me how ..

Shooter
    Large Format
    No, the problem is that both will be misaligned with the focusing screen in the camera, which is what you would normally be using to frame and focus.

Graflok conversion is a bit of a production. It can be tricky to get the alignment right if you aren't used to doing camera repairs, and it can get expensive if you have it done professionally. It's most commonly seen in the 4x5 Super D, which tends to be more expensive to begin with and which offers the convenience of the standard lens with semi-auto diaphragm.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin