Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,690   Posts: 1,548,840   Online: 1003

Thread: Cirkut cameras

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Cirkut cameras

Are intriguing me today. What little I know of them, is that they were made in film width various sizes. Wondering if some of these matched WWII and later era aerial photography roll film sizes.
    Are there any current film stocks available, of any size? (If not, anybody tried shooting Cibachrome in them?)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You might want to re-post in the Panoramic Camera forum:

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum186/

They talk about the most interesting things there .
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I have a #10 and a #6. Got those sizes because, yes, the aerial recon film is usable in them. There's a page on my website with a #10 shot we did in downtown Tonopah stopping traffic on Hwy 95.

Never used the #6, in fact it's in pieces. Just part of the back attachment thingy. I need to get it finished up and advertise it. They are a lot of fun. And a lot of work.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    @jimgalli
    Thanks for the useful info and you sure do great work.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I was just reading an article about the late photographer John Yang in B&W Magazine. He used a No. 10 Cirkut for some projects. They showed a couple images and mentioned that they were 74x10 in contact prints. I was thinking about the setup needed to do that. And the enormous amount of work required. I can't imagine trying to keep that negative and glass clean. If you work with these cameras you really have to want to do it.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    OTOH the dust and scratches are so small on contact prints as to be relatively insignificant-- especially compared to enlargements that big from small negs at long exposure times (where dust can settle on the neg during exposure).

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin