Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,910   Posts: 1,556,219   Online: 967

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Picked up a lens...I think a petval?

Hi all--
    I picked up a lens at a flea market today. I think it is a magic lantern projector lens, but I am not sure. Thought maybe someone here could give me some information. It is labeled: E.F. 12 In. RECTINAR BAUSCH & LOMB OPTICAL CO. Rochester, N.Y. No. 1121759

The front element is a two piece that is cemented together--that means Petzval, right? It has a slot on top for aperture control but there is nothing there. It also has the place where a worm/roller type gear was, but that is no longer there. I'm thinking I will make some sort of lens board for it and throw it on an 8x10 knowing the coverage will be slim at best. Anyone familiar with this lens/have examples? I can post photos of it later...

Thanks,
    Matt
    --------------------
    "Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it." -Paul Strand

www.glasskeyphoto.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Projection lenses generally do not have aperture control through waterhouse stops. Perhaps your was modified by another user - a fairly common thing. Does the rear grouping have two air-spaced lens elements? Is there a third element in the center of the barrel? If the latter is the case, you have a type of projection lens that I have found was common on Leitz lantern and slide projectors from the twenties and thirties- not a Petzval. If no center lens and the two rear lens elements are air spaced, you are most likely looking at a Petzval. At 12" it will cover 8x10 with lots of "swirlies" on the fringes. Photographers contemporary with the len's manufacture would have used it for a much smaller plate. This love of distortion is a modern phenomenon.

Another possibility, guessed only from the Rectinar nameplate is a rapid rectilinear type lens, in which case the rear element would be the same as the front elements- a cemented pair. The attached is a diagram of that type of lens from the Vade Mecum.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails B&L_RR.jpg  

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    The Rectinars were projection Petzvals. The iris was used for blocking the image and closed completely with a small round disc on one of the blades. I had a 6" version I sold some time ago before I had a chance to use it. I have a number of other B&L Petzvals and they're excellent quality lenses.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for the info. Hopefully I will have a chance to see what it can do sooner rather than later!
    --------------------
    "Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it." -Paul Strand

www.glasskeyphoto.com

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin