Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,269   Posts: 1,534,420   Online: 944

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Ditto for a field camera. Unless he needs a long bellows or larger shifts a field camera should fit the bill. I've used a Toyo field camera for many years. It has ample bellows length, some rear extension for a little added length and I have an add-on rear attachment that adds approximately 6 inches. The camera less lens folds and it is not too heavy. A sturdy tripod regardless of the selection should be on your list. For landscape a 90 or 120 wide angle lens such as the Nikkor (W or SW series) should give more than ample coverage and work for closer work. The field camera would set up quicker and is more convenient when traveling. Remember you will also be carrying film, film holders, a changing bag, focusing cloth, cable release, light meter, some filters and a rule or some way of figuring exposure compensation for bellows extension and maybe some other odds and ends. A proper case or backpack to carry it all. --- did anyone say point and shoot still works for some?

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Len Middleton View Post
    Also their reputation is that they tend to understate the condition, as that would result in fewer returns.
    I would tend to agree with this. I've only purchased a couple things from KEH so far, but I've been quite surprised with the condition of the items compared to what they were marked as. The BGN Mamiya-Sekor 110mm is in near-mint condition. It's a bit dirty in the ridges of the aperture and connection rings. That's it. The BGN Calumet 45N I bought is about the same. A bit of dust from sitting around and a worn, slightly scuffed ground glass/fresnel, but other than that it looks pretty much new. Oddly enough it came with a rotating back that wasn't mentioned in the listing so that did offset the obviously cheap aftermarket ground glass and fresnel.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This is no help with LF matters, but another post about KEH's condition ratings. Just a few minutes ago, FedEx delivered an auto-exposure prism I'd ordered for my medium-format Mamiya 645 Pro, listed on KEH in "UG" condition. I was expecting something truly awful-looking, but I was mighty surprised. There are some light surface scratches on the plastic housing, and just a bit of the white-painted figures on the black control dials is rubbed off. Of course the item is in perfect working order. If I'd gone to the next highest condition grade, I would have had to spend $110 more. Woohoo!
    website | Flickr
    "Embrace the negative with absolution, your final positive reward." --IQ, "The Province," Frequency

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've purchased a whole bunch of stuff from KEH over the past year, and have been quite pleased with the results.

A couple of items were returned, but not due to quality. Generally it was my error, and so stated to them, but they accepted the return anyway and issued a refund the same day they received it.

- Leigh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thank you for all the advice. I will begin to look at other cameras as well. Just being a new guy to view cameras I am having a hard time finding which brands/models are the ones I need to be looking at. Also the spot that I will be taking a photo from is about 100 feet from where I will be staying. I was there last year and was pissed that I didn't have a large format camera with me. I will also look into some of the other field cameras on there.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin