Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,338   Posts: 1,537,710   Online: 780

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Photagraphy's first lens, the Wollaston Meniscus

Since I started playing with meniscus lenses a while ago, I've learned that they were the first true lenses designed for photography. Back in 1812, a chap named William Wollaston layed the groundwork for the glass we use today.

It's a super simple design and gives a fascinating peek back to the early days of putting an image onto a piece of paper. Here are two examples taken with my 5x7 Deardorff using my 250 mm lens, One was wide open at f:5.6, and the other was stopped down to f:16. Both are appealing examples of photography over 100 years ago.

Here's the lens that I used:
    http://www.apug.org/forums/forum379/...scus-lens.html

Reinhold
    www.classicBWphoto.com
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gazebo250PMN@f5.6..170.jpg   Gazebo 250pmn@f16..155.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Very interesting indeed.

This raises an interesting question... what types of lenses were used on camera obscuras back in 17th-18th century?
    If you are the big tree, we are the small axe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Wow! What would be really interesting is to see:

a pinhole
    This lens wide open, stopped down
    A modern 250(ish)mm wide open, stopped down

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I can't give you a source at the moment since my books are packed away for our upcoming move. But there were compound lenses used in the camera obscura. There were even designs to rectify the inverted image without the use of mirrors. One book that comes to mind was a book about Ver Meer's use of the camera obscura. It may have been called Ver Meer's Camera.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Very nice info! Would a subject, at say 10 feet from the lens, be sharp if shot wide open or would it look like that sample (ie dreamy and soft)? I love both those photos!! Thanks for the share!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't have an example of wide-open portraits with these lenses that I can post. Typically I've used f:8, mostly because my subjects prefer some (relative) sharpness in their portraits.

Here are some examples shot at f:8 ...

Reinhold

www.classicBWphoto.com
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Jim @ 96.jpg   Judy4x5@220.jpg   Larry @96.jpg   Susan @170.jpg  

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    These are glorious portraits! The one of Larry is my fav of the set! Great info and photos!

Shooter
    Large Format
    It appears you are using a forward mount? Have you played with turning the lens around and using it behind the aperture? That became the favored way to mount simple, meniscus elements.

Ed
    "I only wanted Uncle Vern standing by his new car (a Hudson) on a clear day. I got him and the car. I also got a bit of Aunt Mary's laundry, and Beau Jack, the dog, peeing on a fence, and a row of potted tuberous begonias on the porch and 78 trees and a million pebbles in the driveway and more. It's a generous medium, photography." -- Lee Friedlander

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I am using the classic Wollaston design. The meniscus lens is placed behind the aperture stop cards, with the concave face of the lens facing the subject. The location of slot for the stops is 10~15% of the focal length in front of the lens.

Here's how Wiki shows it...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camera_..._camera_lenses

The lens barrel is quite deep, so there's a very effictive lens hood inherent in the design.

Reinhold

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    thanks for the link !
    and it is great to see another person using
    these old designs

john
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin