Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,951   Posts: 1,585,995   Online: 798

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Aero Ektar 178mm on an 8x10?

I've come into possession of a *cherry* Aero Ektar 178mm f2.5. I've been able to use it on my Eastman 2D 8x10, but only on long exposures.

I'm guessing that a Packard shutter can be implemented somehow for better exposure control. I've also read about placing an Ilex #5 between the two lens elements, but it doesn't look like the elements will come apart easily, and, like I said, the lens is cherry - fungus and scratch free, with a real smoooth f-stop adjustment.

Any advice (preferable with pics) will be appreciated!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have no idea if you can get your lens in or around it (and I suspect you can't if it normally goes into an Ilex #5), but ...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ELECTRIC-SHUTTER...item4158b149d0 .... at $49 is a remounted electric Prontor still on the books at $571 ...https://www.schneideroptics.com/ecom...=1434&IID=6321

I've bought two of them from the man - for engineering use - and they are in new condition and work just great. I've noticed the price keeps creeping up, but they are still a bargain.

Note that the shutter is very thin - the solenoid can be remounted out of the way - and unless you are shooting wide-open the reduced shutter opening isn't as much of a problem as it might appear at first blush.
    Last edited by Nicholas Lindan; 07-22-2011 at 09:08 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    For the price of a Packard and mounting/machinging fees, you might be just as well off with a Speed Graphic body for it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The luxury option is a SINAR DB shutter. They are expensive, though, and they do have their limits as to what lenses will work with them. How big is the rear element of your lens?

A Packard shutter would work well too, if you can manage to do what you need to do with a single instantaneous shutter speed or two.

There was some discussion the other day about converting a Speed Graphic into an accessory shutter for a view camera. But I think it would be rather awkward and unstable if doing it on the front instead of the back.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    For the price of a Packard and mounting/machinging fees, you might be just as well off with a Speed Graphic body for it.
    But if you want it for 8x10 ... anyone make an 8x10 -> graflok adapter?
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    Large Format
    you might have to front-mount something ...
    contact sk grimes, they might have a mounting solution for you
    they specialize in custom mounting lenses to shutters
    and machining custom adapters.
    zacks camera repair also has a lathe and makes parts, and does great repair work,
    but i am not sure if he does this sort of work too, it might be worth an email ...

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin