Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,898   Posts: 1,584,341   Online: 784

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Turner-Reich lens question

Hi all--
    I just bought a lens at a flea market and I am hoping someone here has some knowledge of this lens. The markings on the front are as follows:

5x8 Turner-Reich Anast. F:6.8 Ser. II 205367 Gundlach Manufacturing Corp. Fairport N.Y.

The rear element is:

Turner-Reich 205367 14"

It is in a Compur shutter marked Baush & Lomb No.2

It looks like a triple convertible, it has aperture scales for 8 1/2, 14, 20.

I'm curious what era it is from, coverage and what element combos are for the three focal lengths. I paid $85 for it, mounted on a 4"x4" wooden board. Hopefully that is a decent price. I kinda got a bit impulsive at the flea market...

Thanks,
    Matt
    --------------------
    "Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it." -Paul Strand

www.glasskeyphoto.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    If it's marked Fairport instead of Rochester, it's probably from the 1920s, since Gundlach moved around that time frame. It's a triple convertible as you guessed, and will cover 5x8 (as it states). If there isn't too much separation in the balsam, they're nice lenses - if you look at the reflections, you'll see that it's 5 cemented pieces of glass per lens element. Combined, you get 8 1/2" FL, just the rear gives you 14", and the front gives you 20". $85 is probably a decent price for one of that size (assuming minimal separation and a working shutter).

Dan
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails korona_2_05.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for the info! It has really clean glass with very minimal separation at the very outer edge. The shutter works well at the high speeds but the slow speeds are all about 1/25 regardless. Honestly, the shutter is so dang beautiful that I will be happy with it either way.
    --------------------
    "Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it." -Paul Strand

www.glasskeyphoto.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I'm a big fan of them. I have the 4x5 and 8x10 ones. They're quite respectably sharp unconverted and not bad as a single element. There's focus shift on stopping down so watch for that. I usually shoot mine around f32.

Dan

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    You may get more coverage than you expect out of the lens. I have a 12/21/28 that covers 11x14 just fine.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    And remember, if you convert it to use the front element, take the rear element off and put the front element on the rear of the lens.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It seems that Weston the senior used a 12/21/28 to photograph California and the West. He did OK.
    ref:Through Another Lens, Charis Wilson
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    35mm
    It likes a yellow filter.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin