Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,332   Posts: 1,537,380   Online: 1092

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Um, er, ah, Brian, I've extracted a #4 B&L Zeiss Kodak Anastigmat in Compound, also made by B&L, from a #3A Folding Pocket Kodak. Other fine lenses in good shutters were fitted to these cameras. Look at the Kodak catalogs posted here http://mgroleau.com/catalogues_kodak/ to get an idea of what EKC offered to the US market. Kodak UK offered a variety of good lenses from, mainly, UK makers and CZJ to the UK market. One has to look in many FPK's to find much of interest, though.

Tom, as a practical matter Graphics have only one useful movement, front rise. With most lenses the shift available is limited by the bed struts. Similarly, only a very narrow range of focal lengths can get usable front fall with the bed dropped. Back tilt is rarely very useful and, as with front fall, getting usable front tilt with the bed dropped is possible with only a narrow range of focal lengths.

If you want a view camera, give up your Graphic and get a view camera. FWIW, I have 2x3 Graphics and a 2x3 Cambo; I use the Graphics much more than the Cambo.

There's no reason to stick with original issue lenses. Older modern plasmat types, e.g., Symmars (convertible and later), aren't that expensive ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckP View Post
    Do you need a lens that will fold into the camera? That size constraint will limit your choices.
    Excellent point.

Tom, do you want a "speed graphic" lens or just a lens that will work on a speed graphic? Any 4x5 lens (or 5x7) will likely do. Many will not fold up into the camera.

I was just testing the lenses I have to see what to keep and what to move. I have a 152 ektar, a 150 heliar and a 150mm rapid aplanat (tiny, no shutter). All work with some movements. All are small enough to fit in the camera.

I also have a 180 symmar-s MC. More modern lens. More modern shutter. More movement (it is a 5x7 lens). Sharp. Won't fold into the camera (mine is a Burke and James press, but same idea).

There are a ton of options. What do you want to spend? As a benchmark, the lenses I have ran from around $10 (the aplanat) to around $100 (ektar and heliar) to about $200 (symmar).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Um, er, ah, Brian, I've extracted a #4 B&L Zeiss Kodak Anastigmat in Compound, also made by B&L, from a #3A Folding Pocket Kodak. Other fine lenses in good shutters were fitted to these cameras. Look at the Kodak catalogs posted here http://mgroleau.com/catalogues_kodak/ to get an idea of what EKC offered to the US market. Kodak UK offered a variety of good lenses from, mainly, UK makers and CZJ to the UK market. One has to look in many FPK's to find much of interest, though.
    You really need to get that stammer looked after, Dan... it really comes across a tad offensively. If you beg to differ please do so; I welcome that. Just spit it out.

I did not intend my comment to be all-inclusive and absolute. I'll remember to put in all of the proper weasel-words next time to ensure no miscommunication.

Here is a sample of the camera/lens I have experience with (B&L RR in Kodak TBI shutter):

http://www.vintagephoto.tv/3afpk.shtml

Your example may be different as may be your experience. Thanks for the additional information.

I am actually quite pleased with the performance of the lens/shutter despite the fact that the shutter is indeed crude. And it is definitely marked in US stops, whcih as you know requires some rather simple translation, but translation nonetheless.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    ...One option is to look around for a 1980's vintage 135, like a Schneider Symmar-S MC or similar. These are available, affordable, and will give the image circle you'll need for movements. The Schneider will not fold up into a Graphic, however.
    It depends, I suppose, on what specific shutter is involved but, I can say from first hand experience that the Schneider 135mm Symmar-S in a Copal #0 certainly does fold up in a 4x5 pacemaker crown/speed graphic. The Rodenstock 135mm Sironar-N also fits very nicely. The Nikon 135mm Nikkor-W also will fit. In fact, even a 210mm Geronar in Copal #1 will fit. All of these have considerably more coverage that the stock 127mm Ektar.

EDIT: Just thinking.....the 135mm Symmar convertible which is commonly found in a copal #1 might not fit...I've not tried this combination....but I think it will fit since the 210mm Geronar fits
    Last edited by BradS; 07-28-2011 at 04:30 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BradS View Post
    I can say from first hand experience that the Schneider 135mm Symmar-S in a Copal #0 certainly does fold up in a 4x5 pacemaker crown/speed graphic.
    I believe you. It didn't fold up in my SuperGraphic, and I haven't tried it on my Anniversary because I'm very happy with the elderly Kodak Anastigmatic that the camera came with.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This is a useful Webpage for reading specs of some of the more common LF lenses: http://graflex.org/lenses/lens-spec.html.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    I believe you. It didn't fold up in my SuperGraphic, and I haven't tried it on my Anniversary because I'm very happy with the elderly Kodak Anastigmatic that the camera came with.
    Oh...yes, I agree. The rails and geometry in the Super are a bit different from that of the Pacemaker.

Funny thing is...after trying all of these, I have gone back to the stock 135mm Optar...I just love the lens.
    Last edited by BradS; 07-28-2011 at 04:59 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: be less ambiguous.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BradS View Post
    Funny thing is...after trying all of these, I have gone back to the stock 135mm Optar...I just love the lens.
    Me 2. The original equipment has been just fine for me. Any more advanced nees get satisfied with a real viewcamera and other lenses.

Not lens related but related to satisfaction with original Graphic configurations - I just added a Graflite Jr to my SuperGraphic kit. Call me "Ouiji" if you'd like but I still flash with bulbs on both of my Graphics!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I agree that if you are interested in movements the Speeds may not be the best choice.

I love shooting mine handheld.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The 90mm lens and the 135mm lenses fit in nicely into my 4x5 Pacemaker Speed Graphic. The Schneider-Kreuznach Sinar Symmar-S f/5.6 210mm, not so well.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin