Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,921   Posts: 1,584,959   Online: 1083

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Look at the Kodak catalogs posted here http://mgroleau.com/catalogues_kodak/ to get an idea of what EKC offered to the US market.
    Dan, I just had a chance to look at the site you provided a link to. What a great resource. Thanks for passing along that link!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    Dan, I just had a chance to look at the site you provided a link to. What a great resource. Thanks for passing along that link!
    Brian, I'm g-g-g-glad you found it useful.

Re your earlier posts in this thread, EKCo and their customers viewed the optional more expensive anastigmats (Tessars, Cooke Triplets, ...) offered for FPKs as b-b-b-better lenses than ra-ra-ra-pid rectilinears. I'm somewhat puzzled by the small craze for non-anastigmat lenses.

"Um, er, ah" indicates hesitation to disagree, embarrassment at the possibility of offending, ... It isn't stuttering.

Cheers,

Dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Brian, I'm g-g-g-glad you found it useful.

Re your earlier posts in this thread, EKCo and their customers viewed the optional more expensive anastigmats (Tessars, Cooke Triplets, ...) offered for FPKs as b-b-b-better lenses than ra-ra-ra-pid rectilinears. I'm somewhat puzzled by the small craze for non-anastigmat lenses.

"Um, er, ah" indicates hesitation to disagree, embarrassment at the possibility of offending, ... It isn't stuttering.

Cheers,

Dan
    Ya, I figured that after thinking about it. I was partly tongue-in-cheek, but it does read "oddly" at first glance (even though I've seen it plenty of times before). Maybe I need to up my dosage on the "chill pill"! You certainly don't need to be coy or hesitant around me if you have corrections or additional information. I crave knowledge! Thanks Dan.

Re: the F.P.K. (TBI) shutter... once overhauled mine is very reliable. It is just limited to one shutter speed (1/50). the lens itself, even though it is lower on the line, is actually a fairly respectable performer. I ended up putting it back onto the 3-A B-2 folder and one day plan to do a 120 conversion to it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't know if its from a 3A but I use a 5x7 Rapid Rectilinear in a Kodak Ball Bearing Shutter on my Crown Graphic and love it. It folds right up and provides more movement than necessary. The only drawback is the 3 speeds. All of them are 1/25 at its advanced age. The US stops are easy to get used to.
    It also works well as a convertible but a camera with longer bellows is required.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    What is a convertible lens?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom C View Post
    What is a convertible lens?
    Multiple focal length in one lens. It is one focal length with both the front and rear element attached, and antoher ocal length when the front element is removed and only the rear element is used.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Do you happen to know if these lenses are good/preferred or a compromise?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    In general they're compromises. Schneider Symmars, for example, are convertibles and not all users were/are happy with results got using the rear cell alone. The Symmar-S replaced the convertible Symmar, was not sold as convertible, and is regarded as better, which is not to say that jes' plain Symmars aren't useful.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom C View Post
    Do you happen to know if these lenses are good/preferred or a compromise?
    Dan is right that they are a compromise, but I think of them as an excellent compromise.

Sure, if I'm a famous guy shooting the Grand Tetons then maybe I don't want a compromise. But for an amateur looking for a reasonable single lens it works.

Obviously some convertible lenses are better than others. And I don't think anyone complains who had a Weston print from his convertible. But apparently there was one focal length configuration he disliked.
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I am having a great time trying to figure this all out. I'm reading all sorts of stuff. I appreciate the input and enjoy the interactions from folks responding.
    I am an old 35mm black and white guy. I've now have a number ot 2 1/4 inch cameras and have built a darkroom with a number of enlargers including a Beseler 4x5.
    Seems like everyone has dfferent approaches. Guess the proof is in the prints. Give me a few months and I will post my stuff. The Speed Graphic is my introdution to LF but I'm already looking at a true fully articulated view camera. Yea I know, there is always more to buy/play with.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin