Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,982   Posts: 1,523,877   Online: 1069

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Speed Graphic Lenses

So, if my Ektar 127mm lens will allow for little or no lens shift or tilt just what lens type and focal length will allow me to use the tilt and shift to a maximum (or reasonable) extent? All I can find are references to what won't work.
    Thanks

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Surprised no one has hit this one yet so I'll offer my limited knowledge.

135 0ptar is better than the 127
    There is a Kodak Ektar that is 152 I think (cant recall exactly, never owned one.)
    If you can deal with around 200 the 203 Ektar is real nice.

I'm sure there is a resource on the web that reports image circle for a lot of these lenses somewhere

Shooter
    Medium Format
    With all the info out there on Speed/Crown Graphics I can't imagine there is not some resource out there. I keep reading everything I have found but so far no luck.
    Do you mean the 135 is optically better than then 127 or that it has better coverage when the lens is displaced?
    Thanks for the input.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I believe the 135 has better coverage so corners would be obviously better.
    Keep in mind you can mount more modern optics on a Speed board so you aren't limited to the usual suspects.

I haven't shot my Pacemaker for awhile but I do remember how poor the 90 Optar I had was.
    That thing really vignetted when you tried doing any movements and it wasn't that great zeroed in.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Look for a lens with about 200 to 220mm image circle.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've worked out.
    4x5 require approx 150mm image circle with no movements.
    Speed/Crown has a max vertical shift of about 30mm and bed drop of about 20mm (at 150mm). Side shifts of 20mm.
    So, effectively you need lens that covers film area of 150x150mm or 6 inch squares. That is about 210mm image circle.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Do you need a lens that will fold into the camera? That size constraint will limit your choices.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There is good advise offfered above. using movements on aveiw camera is extending the intended usage of the original 127/135 lenses to the point where they simply cannot perform. One option is to look around for a 1980's vintage 135, like a Schneider Symmar-S MC or similar. These are available, affordable, and will give the image circle you'll need for movements. The Schneider will not fold up into a Graphic, however.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There are lots of 135 to 170mm lenses out there that will fit the camera, fold up with no problem and give you the image circle that camera requires for its limited movements. The 152 Ektar, mentioned above, is an excellent choice, another is the 203 Ektar- a standard for 5x7, so it will certainly fit the bill. Mine came with a 135 Tessar- works fine. One cheap source of them is old 3A folders, often neglected because they take 122 film. Another option (the one I find I choose most often) is a lens in barrel, since the Speed doesn't require its lens to be in a shutter. Lots of those out there, too

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiteymorange View Post
    One cheap source of them is old 3A folders, often neglected because they take 122 film.

Another option (the one I find I choose most often) is a lens in barrel, since the Speed doesn't require its lens to be in a shutter.
    These are two very good ideas. I've done both with success. For the 3A option, be aware that the shutters are crude and the saperture markings often are US.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin