Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,974   Posts: 1,558,726   Online: 801

Shooter
    35mm RF

3 1/4 x 4 1/4 Graphic Help

Hi all,

A package came in the mail for me today- My first (Speed?) Graphic! It's a pre-anniversary Graphic, fitting 3 1/4 x 4 1/4 film.
    I know, I know... I cringed when I saw that it wasn't a 4x5, but for $40 CAN I have a camera body with a functioning focal plane shutter, great bellows and leather, and no rusty metal bits

My question is, what should I do with it?
    I could buy a few film holders off the 'Bay and some film from Freestyle, but I'm curious if anyone has converted one of these oddball bodies to accept film holders/backs of a different format? My Google-fu has come up with very little.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Odds are that your new treasure has a spring ("Graphic") back. If you don't know what that is or aren't sure what you have, visit www.graflex.org and read the FAQ.

If you're willing to use it to shoot 2x3 (also known as 6x9, but Graphics are in inches) and are patient you should be able to find an Adapt-A-Roll 620 to fit a 3x4 spring back. These devices slip in like sheet film holders, must take up on a 620 spool, will feed from a 120 spool. They exist, I've had one. Sorry, sold long ago.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Yeah, it has a spring back- I asked about conversions because I noticed that you could probably undo a few screws and remove the whole assembly.
    Another question- I see references here and there to 3x4 and 2x3 model Graphics. As far as I've read, such models don't exist. Am I correct in assuming that people just aren't typing the fractional (1/4 etc) values?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    You're correct that those are being simplified for convenience. Yes, the back will simply unscrew. I don't know about the pre-anny models, but on my 1946 Anniversary, I was able to install a 3x4 Graflok with no problem, which simplifies the use of a roll-film holder, if you can find one. For yours, 3x4 double sided holders can be found (you want the ones without the slot) and film is available from Freestyle (or you can cut down 4x5). I don't see why you couldn't remove the back, attach a piece of thin plywood or aluminum sheet with a 2x3 opening, and then attach a 2x3 graflok back.

Dan

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Probably the simplest, cheapest solution is to get a bunch of 3 1/4 x 4 1/4 non-slotted film holders and cut down 4x5 film. One of the nice things about the size is the cuts required are very simple- it's 3/4" off both the long and wide axes. The 3x4 non-slotted holders go silly cheap because almost nobody wants them. The slotted ones (they have a lengthwise slot down the skinny edge of the holder, and a cross-wise slot near the rib lock) go for a lot more money because they're relatively rare and they fit the RB Graflex cameras, which are in much higher demand than the 3x4 Graphics.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Mayhap I will just purchase a few film holders and have at it. If all else fails and the Efke film available at Freestyle goes away, I can cut down 4x5- or just use paper negatives.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have two 3x4 Speeds, a Pre-Anniversary with a Graflex back (takes the slotted holders) and an Anniversary with the spring back. The nice thing about the Graflex back is that I can use a bag-mag, which takes 12 sheets of film. I have only two slotted holders, but I also have two roll film holders, which I can also use on my 3x4 Graflex SLR's. For film, Ilford does have 3x4 available, along with other sizes, once a year. You might check with Badger or other dealers to see who has it available. It is a special order once a year, not cheap, but at least we can get other emulsions than the Efke 100 speed stuff from Freestyle.
    Michael Cienfuegos

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please feel free to stand in front of them.

Shooter
    Multi Format

3 1/4 x 4 1/4 Anniversary Speed

Hi,

I just saw this article while searching for info on converting my 1946 Anniversary Speed from spring back to graflok back.

I have a 3x4 Crown with a graflok back that I want to attach to the 1946 Anniversary Speed so that I can take advantage of roll film backs and particularly, the rear shutter on the Speed. I would put the springback on the Crown.

Do you see any problems with this idea? I recently purchased a 3x4 RFH(graflok) in great shape.
    I see something about film flatness with the roll film holders for the 3x4. I've checked out the 2x3's rfh and I don't understand what they mean....they both look alike as far as rollers go. Can you help with clarifying this for me?

Another question about RFH's, since I have a number of 2x3 RF Holders(6x9, 6x7, 6x6), I was wondering why I couldn't just change the inserts and have some format masks made up so I could shoot different formats? Also was wondering if you could use 120 film in a RH 20 film holder or do you need an RH10/RH20 in order to use it. I realize 220 film is still available sometimes on ebay and I got a few rolls left I want to use.

Hoping you can help.....I'll also post this on the group, or is that where this is headed?

Thank you,
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Fotoguy20d View Post
    You're correct that those are being simplified for convenience. Yes, the back will simply unscrew. I don't know about the pre-anny models, but on my 1946 Anniversary, I was able to install a 3x4 Graflok with no problem, which simplifies the use of a roll-film holder, if you can find one. For yours, 3x4 double sided holders can be found (you want the ones without the slot) and film is available from Freestyle (or you can cut down 4x5). I don't see why you couldn't remove the back, attach a piece of thin plywood or aluminum sheet with a 2x3 opening, and then attach a 2x3 graflok back.

Dan

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    spleenrippa, if you have a rangefinder on that old camera then the focus panel can be removed, a roll film holder installed in its place. A focus scale can be used also if a rangefinder is not available. 3x4 roll film holders show up occasionally. An adapter can be made to reduce the 3x4 format to 2x3 format but any focus scale or rangefinder will have to be reset. Roll film holders for 2x3 format cameras are readily available.

hensman, See http://www.graflex.org/helpboard/viewtopic.php?t=6391 . Film flatness issues will come into play if doing extreme closeup/macro or critical architecture work. Flatness and spacing issues are a result of modern film being .5mm to 1mm thinner than older film. 120 format has been around since the early 1900's.

The shell for a given format has a film gate opening for that format. A shell for 6x9 can be used for 6x7 and 6x6 provided that inserts for those formats that fit the shell are available and a format reducer is installed in the film gate opening. A simple format reducer can be made of thin metal and inserted into the darkslide slot.

220 film has backing paper at the lead and trail end only. The pressure plate on a 220 insert is closer to the film shell by .006 inch which may cause focus issues when shooting fast lens wide open and increased tension on the winding mechanism if using 120 film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Check out www.graflex.org
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin