Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,223   Posts: 1,532,490   Online: 1063

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images

Fine Art XXL lenses 550mm and 1100mm

I just recieved this from Schneider on the new 550mm and 1100mm lenses...

The 1100mm lens should be available after the first of the year.
    Delivery of the 550mm lens is not know at this time. Educated guess . . . June '05.
    04- 1003433 > 11/550 COPAL 3 SHUTTER FINE-ART-XXL $13,834.00 list
    04- 1003431 > 14/1100 COPAL 3 SHUTTER FINE-ART-XXL $11,167.00 list
    04- 1003432 > 14/1100 CYLINDER MOUNT BK 73 FINE-ART-XXL WITH IRIS DISC SET $11,667.00 list

I hope they are coated with real gold!

Here is a flyer I recieved from them...

http://www.RobertHall.com/XXL.pdf
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    www.RobertHall.com/mobile
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Technology is not a panacea. It alone will not move your art forward. Only through developing your own aesthetic - free from the tools that create it - can you find new dimension to your work.

Shooter
    Large Format
    In addition to the prices, the other consideration is what camera will handle an 1100 mm lens unless this is a telephoto design. The Lotus 12X20 and up will handle 1100 at infinity. The Wisner 16X20 will handle 1500. That is just about enough bellows extension to make a really good sail here in Doodah.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    My canham 12x20 would handle the 43 inch draw, but you're right about the wind, not to mention the bellows sag, but I was wondering what they're thinking, who has the money to shell out for a $14,000 lens?
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    www.RobertHall.com/mobile
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Technology is not a panacea. It alone will not move your art forward. Only through developing your own aesthetic - free from the tools that create it - can you find new dimension to your work.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Ah hell, and here I thought Schneider had made a smart move. Looks like I was wrong, why announce and make lenses for ULF which are unreacheable for the majority and wont bebought but by a few rich doctors or lawyers?

This does not make sense, dont they know the mayority of the persons using ULF are either hobbiests or guys trying to break in the fine art market? I cant afford either of those lenses, and even if I could, I would feel stupid buying $25,000 worth of lenses. There is no lens IMO that is worth this much, even if I was rich.....

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jorge
    Ah hell, and here I thought Schneider had made a smart move. Looks like I was wrong, why announce and make lenses for ULF which are unreacheable for the majority and wont bebought but by a few rich doctors or lawyers?

This does not make sense, dont they know the mayority of the persons using ULF are either hobbiests or guys trying to break in the fine art market? I cant afford either of those lenses, and even if I could, I would feel stupid buying $25,000 worth of lenses. There is no lens IMO that is worth this much, even if I was rich.....
    Jorge,

Keep in mind the prices Robert listed are LIST PRICES and may be considerably higher than the actual selling prices for these lenses. I have no idea what the actual selling prices will be, but keep in mind the LIST PRICE for the 110mm Super Symmar XL is $3427. Anybody here pay anything close to that much for their 110 XL? I know I sure didn't.

I'm not saying the new Fine Art XXL lenses will be reasonably priced, or even affordable for us working stiffs, but they might not be quite as outrageous as the prices Robert quoted.

Kerry

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by kthalmann
    Jorge,

Keep in mind the prices Robert listed are LIST PRICES and may be considerably higher than the actual selling prices for these lenses. I have no idea what the actual selling prices will be, but keep in mind the LIST PRICE for the 110mm Super Symmar XL is $3427. Anybody here pay anything close to that much for their 110 XL? I know I sure didn't.

I'm not saying the new Fine Art XXL lenses will be reasonably priced, or even affordable for us working stiffs, but they might not be quite as outrageous as the prices Robert quoted.

Kerry
    Hmmm, you got a good point, Badger is selling the 110XL for $1400 and some change....but still, even at 60% discount these are 5 and $6000 lenses. Even at those prices, I think I am sticking with my Nikon 450 and if I want longer I will look for a process lens and have SK Grimes put it on a shutter.

BTW, welcome to APUG Kerry, I hope you decide to stick around more, your experience is valuable to all of us.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I once saw an ad in MrCad in the UK for a new 1000mm Apo Germinar in Copal 3 for about 2000 bucks I think. It was in that ad for a long time, probably still there too. Not much demand for huge lenses even at relatively attractive prices. Now, who wants to sell put options on these new Schneider lenses?
    Francesco

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hall
    I just recieved this from Schneider on the new 550mm and 1100mm lenses...

The 1100mm lens should be available after the first of the year.
    Delivery of the 550mm lens is not know at this time. Educated guess . . . June '05.
    04- 1003433 > 11/550 COPAL 3 SHUTTER FINE-ART-XXL $13,834.00 list
    04- 1003431 > 14/1100 COPAL 3 SHUTTER FINE-ART-XXL $11,167.00 list
    04- 1003432 > 14/1100 CYLINDER MOUNT BK 73 FINE-ART-XXL WITH IRIS DISC SET $11,667.00 list

I hope they are coated with real gold!
    What's missing from those prices is the cost of inevitable divorce proceedings...
    Bob Fowler
    fowler@verizon.net
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Francesco
    I once saw an ad in MrCad in the UK for a new 1000mm Apo Germinar in Copal 3 for about 2000 bucks I think. It was in that ad for a long time, probably still there too. Not much demand for huge lenses even at relatively attractive prices. Now, who wants to sell put options on these new Schneider lenses?
    Well, I have a 1000 mm f/14 Artar in an Ilex #5 shutter that I use on the 12X20" Canham and estimate its value to be about $2000. Can't see that the new 1100mm f/11 Fine Art Lens offers $10,000 improvement in performance since coverage is about the same. And since apo lenses of this type are fairly common it is hard to see where the market is for the long Schneider lens.

The 550mm f/11 Fine Art Lens, with over 850mm of coverage, is another matter. Love to have that one.

Sandy

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Any one know of a source for optics math? Seems you could buy glass fairly cheap and build your own lens. I was originally thinking modifying a small telescope but you might not have enough image circle.
    Eric
    www.esearing.com

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin