Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,925   Posts: 1,556,801   Online: 983

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Graflex Graphic View GG replacement

Hello,

I would like to replace the GG on the Graflex graphic view I just bought.
    As you can see on the picture I think the ground glass on it is not original and it is
    Not held by screws. Could I see some pictures of graphic view owners
    Of your graphic view cameras back to see how it is supposed to be ?

Thank you !

Henk
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1313524591.281042.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	223.6 KB 
ID:	38280

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    If you go on ebay and do a search you can find some pictures. The ground glass is held in place with a metal frame that has a door and hood attached. Your ground glass looks too small. As you may know it is important that the ground glass plane be positioned correctly (equal to the film holder film position) so that photos will be in focus.

Jon

...er, never mind. didn't realize it was GVII with graflok back.
    Last edited by Jon Shiu; 08-16-2011 at 06:06 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Mendocino Coast Black and White Photography: www.jonshiu.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Go ask at www.graflex.org. I could be mistaken, but I don't think the focusing panel is original issue for a Graflok back made by Graflex. I take it you have a GV II.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF

pictures of the GV2

The GV2 uses spring metal retaining prongs to hold the ground glass in place, the metal viewing hood detaches completely with minor difficulty

hope this helps sorry for the poor quality d******* pics

David

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Jon describes the Graphic back typically supplied with the first model of the Graphic View. Yours appears to be the Graflok back that was common on the Graphic View II camera. The two backs are interchangeable. The two clips that originally held the ground glass (and perhaps a fresnel lens) have been replaced on your camera with something else. These clips also retained the snap-off hood. If the ground glass frame was built for the fresnel lens, a proper fresnel lens must be mounted in front of the ground glass for correct focusing. If the frame was built for no fresnel lens, no fresnel lens should be used for the same reason. In this instance, the front surface of the ground glass should be about .190 inches from the surface of its frame that rides against the film holder. On my camera, the fresnel is about .150 inches from the surface of the frame.

edit: It takes this old man a long time to research and post anything. Dan and David posted while I was struggling with it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails GVIIgg.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My Pacemaker Speed and Graphic View II (w/spring back) both have the same clips Jim shows above.

It looks like someone made those on the OP's camera...but you knew that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Is there a good source for ground glass for these? I also have a Graphic View II. It came with a broken GG, and I ended up (crudely) cutting down a Toyo glass to fit. Is there a source for OEM or compatible replacements?
    My other camera is a Pentax

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    http://stores.ebay.com/Steve-Hopfs-G...s-Store?_rdc=1
    This guy on ebay is really good. I needed a GG for my Crown Graphic with Graflok back.
    He custom cut and ground it for a very reasonable price. At least 2X brighter than the broken original.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the answers !

I am new to 4x5 hence my following question(s) :

In comparison to Jim's picture I see that my gg is positioned OK.
    For the focussing, since the gg is in a graflok back, the position
    is automatically OK right ? Or does the thickness off the gg must be correct as well ?

Could I replace the gg with a gg of a different vendor that has graflok backs,
    say for example shen-hao, chamonix... or has it to be customed made ?

As for lenses are lensboards for this camera still used (easely available ?).
    (If I wanted to buy another lens)

By the way I bought the camera for 150$, with a graflex 135 f4.7 on it.
    The only thing in not so good shape is the gg, the rest seems very ok.

Thanks again,
    Henk

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The film holder slips under the GG back and the film will be where the GG was so focusing shouldn't be a problem.
    The Graflok back takes a slightly smaller GG than most backs so it is important to get one that fits properly. Specify that you have a Graflok on a Graphic View.
    Lens boards are a standard size, I believe 4"x4", and are readily available or one can be made quite cheaply.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin