Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,499   Posts: 1,571,566   Online: 1153

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

8x10" ?????: Fujinon - W S 180mm

hello

will a single coated fujinon w s 180mm 5,6 cover 8x10???? i read that it had a 305 circle at f:22

thanks

Rui Lourosa
    vive la resistance!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Highly doubt it.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    Large Format
    In this UNOFFICIAL list, the Fuji 180/5.6 W is claimed to have an image circle of 305mm. It isn’t stated, but I presume the lens must be closed to f/22 to get the circle that large.

http://www.willwilson.com/fujinonlc2.html

If so, it barely covers 8” x 10” at infinity with essentially no movement.

Note that the list shows 7 180mm lenses, but only one achieves a 305mm image circle. This list doesn’t include a 180mm “WS” lens.

If you need coverage for the 8” x 10” format, consider a wide-angle lens like the 150/8 Nikkor SW. It has an image circle at f/22 of 400mmφ (covers 10” x 12”).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It should cover with no movements. I use a newer EBC 125 SW with a smaller image circle probably less than 290mm for 8x10. The 4 corners are dark but cropping about 1/8" to 1/4" all the way around removes the vignetting.

I have not tried that 180mm lens because the 210mm Fujinon covers 8x10 with enough for good movements.

If you get it, let us know how it works out, I'm interested to know.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If, as I suspect, this is the one with the lettering visible when you look into the front of the lens, I believe the "S" just means the lens is in a Seiko shutter but is otherwise identical to the Copal-shuttered version. My old Fuji catalog (late 1970s) says 305mm image circle at f/22. It should just hit the corners of 8x10 at infinity, but you'll need to be careful about centering. At moderate distances you'll begin to get a little movement. I've used one on wholeplate, it's the widest lens I've got that'll cover the format.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I use the fuji 180 without the S for whole plate and it covers nicely....great lens!
    Best, Peter
    website down for maintenance!

Maybe I'm missing something here, but the diagonal of an 8x10" sheet is 325mm. I don't see how a 305mm coverage would not vignette the corners. You might get a little extra "spread" at apertures smaller than f/22, but as folks have said, there wouldn't be room for movements at infinity.

Peter Gomena

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    A good source of LF information including lens charts can be found at
    http://www.largeformatphotography.info/

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Nope. Not unless you're around 1:1 with little or no movements. You might get the illumination circle to
    cover the film, but a lot it is going to be poorly defined. The shortest realistic lens for 8x10 in this series
    are some of the OLDER 210's and 250's, with inside lettering.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's a great 5x7 lens. I wouldn't try any movements with 8x10.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin