Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,224   Posts: 1,532,543   Online: 1065

Shooter
    Large Format

Arca-Swiss compendium 100mm filter holder, 4" filters?

Recently was able to trade my Sinar P for a nice arca-swiss f-metric with a compendium bellows.

Long story short I found http://www.ebay.com/itm/130567385823...#ht_950wt_1231 and snapped it up seeing as how it goes for $400+ on bhphoto/etc.

I also bought a 4" Schneider linear polarizer for $140 and everything arrived yesterday. Unfortunately the glass filter is a smidgen too large for the filter holder. The Schneider filter is not returnable, otherwise I'd just find an appropriately sized 100mm polarizer, additionally I'd really prefer to keep my filter system on the compendium hood to save time in the field when swapping lenses out.

I know 4" is 101.6mm but from everything I'd read 4" filters and 100mm filters were interchangeable in practice? Is that mistaken?

I see a few ways to proceed:

1. Grind down the 4" polarizer to fit in the arca holder. Anyone have any experience with this?

2. Buy a 4" filter holder and all the appropriate step up adapters for all my lenses - not tempting.

Thoughts?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've used wet or dry 400 grit to take about 1mm off glass to fit a GG frame.
    Paper on the table, a bit of water and even pressure on the glass. Tape the edges you need to handle.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by watanabe` View Post
    Recently was able to trade my Sinar P for a nice arca-swiss f-metric with a compendium bellows.

Long story short I found http://www.ebay.com/itm/130567385823...#ht_950wt_1231 and snapped it up seeing as how it goes for $400+ on bhphoto/etc.

I also bought a 4" Schneider linear polarizer for $140 and everything arrived yesterday. Unfortunately the glass filter is a smidgen too large for the filter holder. The Schneider filter is not returnable, otherwise I'd just find an appropriately sized 100mm polarizer, additionally I'd really prefer to keep my filter system on the compendium hood to save time in the field when swapping lenses out.

I know 4" is 101.6mm but from everything I'd read 4" filters and 100mm filters were interchangeable in practice? Is that mistaken?

I see a few ways to proceed:

1. Grind down the 4" polarizer to fit in the arca holder. Anyone have any experience with this?

2. Buy a 4" filter holder and all the appropriate step up adapters for all my lenses - not tempting.

Thoughts?
    Unfortunately, I don't believe a 4" or 101.6mm filter will fit and rotate, which a polarizer needs to be able to do to be positioned correctly. Try getting a Lee holder and changing the thickness of the slot. Better save for your filter.
    A screw in or gel type polarizer may be able to utilize the rotational ability of the filter holder.
    Rod

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin