Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,976   Posts: 1,523,648   Online: 1116

Shooter
    Medium Format

Horseman 6X9...shutter questions...

1) there doesn't appear to be a way to trip the shutter from the body, as with a Graflex...I'd appreciate a confirmation on that, and 2) from what I can see of Horseman pictures and even the instruction booklet, a cable release adapter is required, and as best I can figure the release adapter is affixed to the lens board some how, thereby requiring a Horseman board VS a third party board...I'd appreciate a some enlightenment here, please.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    1) On the VH-R (others also??) the Horseman cable release fits in a slot alongside the viewfinder so you can use your right hand thumb as a plunger.
    2) The Horseman Electrical Grip has 22v battery and a nice microswitch that fires a solenoid you put on any Horseman lensboard, in place of the mechanical cable release.
    3) On the ER-1 the solenoid is permanantly mounted on special ER-1 lensboards and the special hand grip has the electrical switch.

The Graflex solenoid was designed to aid in flash synchronization, whereas the Horseman solenoid is to aid in smooth shutter release for hand-held photography.

PICTURE shows VHR with electrical grip and solenoid mounted on a standard Horseman lensboard. This is my setup and I found the electrical release allows for better hand-held photography. I found the mechanical 'thumb-plunger' to jerk the camera during the exposure.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I shoot 2x3 Graphics. IMO the Pacemaker Graphic body release (for the front shutter) isn't worth the proverbial pitcher of warm spit.

The release structure on the front standard makes it impossible to mount shutters larger that #0. The release paddles, that trip the shutter releases, are shutter specific. The typical 2x3 Pacemaker comes with a paddle that works for the shutters the 101/4.5 normal lens is in; same paddle for 101 Ektar and Raptar/Optar. This paddle won't work for other shutters, e.g., the shutter the 105/3.7 Ektar is in, Compur/Prontor #00, Compur/Copal/Prontor #0 and #1. There are three sizes of paddles, none works with a #1.

I've removed the complete front shutter release assembly -- cable and everything that attaches to the front standard -- from my three 2x3 Pacemaker Graphics. I shoot 'em from tripod, not handheld.

If I wanted badly to shoot 'em handheld, I'd use an L shaped flash bracket I have that has a hand grip with release cable on the left end. For those who don't have or can't find such a bracket, the best solution for 2x3 Graphics is probably a hand grip with cable release that can be attached to the camera's left tripod socket. Such grips were made for the Graflex XL and for Linhof Technikas.

A flash bracket like mine should work with any lens whose shutter has a cable release socket on any body that has a tripod socket on the bottom.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin