Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,908   Posts: 1,556,125   Online: 1248

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Ciao
    if you'd like to process your sheets in LV you have to know that there's only one lab which process 4x5 and 8x10 sheet films, it's Color Reflections, 4600 South Polaris Avenue, Phone 702-262-9300, it's very easy to find, it's close to the Tropicana Avenue and I-15 intersection...

Marco

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Carry-On Scanners

I guess I should clarify that my opinion regarding film is just that - my opinion. As you can see from the comments above, experiences vary widely. This may be due to a little know fact about those scanners - they are variable and adjustable by the operator. If something on the belt goes by that they are unsure of, they usually just crank it up until they think they have it figured out.
    ..... Put yourself in their shoes for a second..... "this thingy is a mystery to me, do I ask the nice passenger to open the bag for me - thereby stopping the whole line and all the other nice passengers - or do I just crank up this dial here until I can see it for myself ?" ......

The other thing that is never understood by the travelling public about those security stations in general is that all of their policies work pretty much the same way - adjustable. In other words there are policies established but ultimately if one security person claims to have a suspicion, there is really no limit to what they can do to resolve the issue to their own satisfaction. And you have to remember, it is their satisfaction that matters. Add to this, the economic environment for the airline industry in general, which basically means everyone is trying to 'squeeze ten gallons into a five gallon pail" - overworked, not enough resources for every job that everyone on the airport has to do, angry management, angry passengers (FWIW every single person working there agrees with the passengers and sympathizes - we are all just way too numbed for it to show any more)...

After three days at work I come home and take my camera out to the Niagra Escarpment and walk and walk and walk, and then set up the tripod and watch the sun coming down through the tops of the trees.....

What happens at security at the airport is a complete crap shoot. I prefer not to take chances.

"There are bold pilots, and there are old pilots...."

Tim R

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy
    I guess I should clarify that my opinion regarding film is just that - my opinion. As you can see from the comments above, experiences vary widely. This may be due to a little know fact about those scanners - they are variable and adjustable by the operator. If something on the belt goes by that they are unsure of, they usually just crank it up until they think they have it figured out.
    ..... Put yourself in their shoes for a second..... "this thingy is a mystery to me, do I ask the nice passenger to open the bag for me - thereby stopping the whole line and all the other nice passengers - or do I just crank up this dial here until I can see it for myself ?" ......
    The X-ray dosage does not change when they crank up the scanner, it is fixed. What they do is adjust the gain on the sensor. In other words they change the speed of the "film".

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy
    I am an air traffic controller. We work pretty much the same way.

Occupations aside, I generally send film FedEx or Priority Mail to myself to avoid the airport hassles (at least the photography-related ones). No system is perfect, but it's worked for me so far.

Best,
    Will
    My Verito page

Anyone can appreciate a fine print. But it takes a real photographer to appreciate a fine negative.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks to everyone who offered advice. I took film, camera, holders and meter on the plane as carry-on and. now that I've developed some of the film, I know the traveling went without a hitch.

A funny side note. One of the young security guards couldn't figure out what he was seeing as he was looking at my camera through the X-ray. One of the more mature guards had to come and explain how the film went in the holder which went into the camera, etc. before they'd cut me loose. I got a kick out of it.

Thanks again to everyone.

Cheers,

James

Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Casey's Camera number is 702-736-0890...Wayne Kodey is the owner and is also a very fine photographer...It is best however to give him a heads up if you are coming into Vegas and need special supplies etc. Have a nice time in Vegas and welcome.

Dave Wooten

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin