Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,730   Posts: 1,515,254   Online: 830

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Nikkow-W 240mm or Symmar-S 240mm for 8x10?

I'm considering either a Nikkor-W 240mm or a Symmar-S 240 as my first lens for 8x10. The focal length corresponds roughly to my favorite lens for 4x5 (90mm), and the cost of either is very reasonable. Neither seems to offer great scope for movements, however. Any experiences that could help with my decision?

PS I would consider alternative lenses if you can think of any.

Thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Pasto View Post

PS I would consider alternative lenses if you can think of any.

Thanks!
    Fujinon 250mm f6.7

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    The 8x10 equivalent to a 90mm on 4x5 is 180mm--considerably shorter than a 240mm. That being said, I love the 240mm focal length on 8x10--it's a nice moderate wideangle. I have the 240mm Symmar-S and it's a pleasure to use--a big bright plasmat. The biggest drawback is the limited coverage that doesn't allow much movement. I think I'd look for a lens with more coverage.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Thanks. Ic-racer, tell me more about the Fujinon 250mm f6.7, sharpness, contrast equivalent to more modern class?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    contrast equivalent to more modern class?
    I think that design is as modern as it gets. I think the Wide Field Kodak Ektar may be an older design than the Fuji and from what I can tell Schneider does not currently make a lens in that focal length. I don't think the 'single coating' on the lens would ever be an issue.
    Last edited by ic-racer; 10-01-2011 at 06:07 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    I think that design is as modern as it gets. I think the Wide Field Kodak Ektar may be an older design than the Fuji and from what I can tell Schneider does not currently make a lens in that focal length. I don't think the 'single coating' on the lens would ever be an issue.
    No Schneider don't - but Rodenstock do - https://www.badgergraphic.com/store/...t_detail&p=229

Martin

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Neither. The already-mentioned Fuji W 250/6.7 is an excellent choice; just don't confuse it with the smaller coverage newer 6.3 version. A couple other compact very high quality lenses in this range which will easily cover 8x10 are the Fuji 240A and G-Claron 250 and 270.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    The nikkor-w 240/5.6 has only a 295mm image circle and will not cover 8x10 properly.
    The caltar II-N is the rodenstock sironar N and cover 350mm so there is room for some movement.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Nikkor W 240mm has got a 336mm image circle so it will cover easely the 8x10 format. I never used it personally but it should be a fine performer. I have the Nikkor -w 300mm and it is as good as it gets, course there are some more evolved plasmats like the apo-w with some more mm extra coverage but 420mm is more than enough...
    I also got a SS Hm 210mm and its a nice (very nice) performer but it does not relate very well to the Symmar-s 240mm.

In 8x10 you cannot find many bad lenses, especially after coating.

Another thing, quality improvement in these tipe of photography comes more from good printing and good technique.
    Both lenses you mention should give you stellar images, if you are a good photographer...
    vive la resistance!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks. Ic-racer, tell me more about the Fujinon 250mm f6.7, sharpness, contrast equivalent to more modern class?
    I just bought one of these and have only made two test shots with it, but it is fabulous from what I can tell so far. Sharp even in the corners.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin