Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,228   Posts: 1,532,705   Online: 738

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Is Fred Lustig still active?

I had my Pacemaker Speed overhauled by him a couple years ago (new RF, shutter overhaul, etc), and since then I've only used my leaf shutter. However, when I went to use my focal plane shutter, I fount that it had ridden off to the side on it's rollers, and is now rubbing the side of my camera. I had the focal plane shutter overhauled by him, and this problem was present at that time.

I know that he has some sort of guarantee, but I don't know if he'd cover it. I would even pay a minimal price, but I'm not in a position to pour much more money into this camera.

Is it possible that he overlooked this, or is this a flaw I have to learn to live with in this camera? I'd really like my shutter working perfectly, since i'm totally OCD about my speed graphics.

And lastly, is he even still into the camera repair business, or has he retired? I applaud his years of service and technical skill, but the man has got to be in his 90's by now, and if so, I have no idea where to begin on getting this camera back up to "Speed"

What could be causing this in the camera?
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    Hi, take the back off the camera and observe what is happening with the rollers/curtain.

Jon
    Mendocino Coast Black and White Photography: www.jonshiu.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I did that, and last time I used it, the curtain was rubbing. However I just pulled it out again, and while still not centered (the curtain is off the the left and i see a but of the side material sticking into the frame), it now seems to fire accurately without rubbing the side... Is it typical of Graflex shutter curtains to travel like this?
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    I haven't seen that problem before, but could it be that the lower spindle is mis-aligned side to side, or has some sideways play in it? Could the curtain be damaged? Is the curtain jumping out of it's channel on the spindle (unlikely). If you take the back off you will be able to see what is going on, and hopefully able to remedy it. Good luck!

Jon
    Last edited by Jon Shiu; 10-06-2011 at 07:07 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Mendocino Coast Black and White Photography: www.jonshiu.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Shiu View Post
    I haven't seen that problem before, but could it be that the lower spindle is mis-aligned side to side,
    'snip'
    Good luck!

Jon
    This is my guess also. There is probably a washer that takes up end play that maybe got left out. IDK the design offhand but that shutter is fairly simple.

Try this, take the back off again and see if there is excessive endplay (side to side) in either of the rollers.

With my motorcycle they even have different gauge washers so the endplay is exact and you measure it with a feeler gauge to a certain spec. I'm sure the graflex shutter doesn't need to be this exact but I thought I'd just throw this thought out there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by brucemuir View Post

With my motorcycle they even have different gauge washers so the endplay is exact and you measure it with a feeler gauge to a certain spec.
    Gee whiz, MY motorcycle doesn't have a shutter.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by brucemuir View Post

With my motorcycle they even have different gauge washers so the endplay is exact and you measure it with a feeler gauge to a certain spec. I'm sure the graflex shutter doesn't need to be this exact but I thought I'd just throw this thought out there.

Good morning, Bruce;

With your comment about adjusting end play by choosing the correct thickness of the shim installed behind the bearing, or something similar, I do feel compelled to ask; "Is your motorcycle by any chance made in the old Spandau Prison in Berlin?" I ask because the setting of shaft and bearing play by the thickness of the shim is very common in the transmission and bevel gear housing of the BMW motorcycles.

Enjoy;

Ralph, Latte Land, Washington
    with BMW Training Certificates and tools and experience for the /2 and /5 Series Machines
    and, Ernie Earles did have the right idea
    Enjoy;

Ralph Javins, Latte Land, Washington

When they ask you; "How many Mega Pixels you got in your camera?"
    just tell them; "I use activated silver bromide crystals tor my image storage media."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Another option would be to let the shutter all the way out (closed position) not tensioned, and the curtain loop at the top might be able to shift side to side a bit. Make sure this is centered and wind it back up.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ralph-FYI

My shaft drive V-4 Honda also takes shims to adjust clearance on the bevel gears and at certain places in the transmission.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Javins View Post
    Good morning, Bruce;

With your comment about adjusting end play by choosing the correct thickness of the shim installed behind the bearing, or something similar, I do feel compelled to ask; "Is your motorcycle by any chance made in the old Spandau Prison in Berlin?" I ask because the setting of shaft and bearing play by the thickness of the shim is very common in the transmission and bevel gear housing of the BMW motorcycles.

Enjoy;

Ralph, Latte Land, Washington
    with BMW Training Certificates and tools and experience for the /2 and /5 Series Machines
    and, Ernie Earles did have the right idea
    Ralph, (sorry to the OP for a bit off topic but... we're among friends)
    It was made in Springfield, Mass.
    I once redid the transmission on my 1947 Indian Chief (3 speed, very simple tech with 3 gears and one slider gear).
    The shaft the slider gear rode on needs close tolerance.

I've run into this type thing for endplay adjustment a lot in older tech stuff.
    Last edited by brucemuir; 10-09-2011 at 03:35 PM. Click to view previous post history.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin