Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,502   Posts: 1,543,379   Online: 769

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Add flash sync to a Volute shutter?

I still have that nice old Protar VII in its Volute shutter.
    And I would like to use it on a project in two weeks. But alas it has no flash sync.
    So I am trying to come up with a reliable method for accomplishing the goal of adding flash sync to it.
    And I would like to do it without modifying the shutter internally.
    When the shutter releases, the cocking arm goes back through the return cycle.
    There is a place on its path when the shutter is fully open, and this does not change no matter the shutter speed.
    So what I am thinking is to add a microswitch with an arm that the cocking lever will pass under, firing the flash as it passes by.
    Microswitches take little physical energy to throw.

Any other ideas out there?

Collin

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hello Collin;
    Does the Volute Shutter have a Compur style shutter release socket? If so try using a Kalart Flash sync. You can find these by themselves or in a Kalart Master Flash kit. They came with the Compur style end and could be adapted to the Supermatic via an end coupler, which are almost impossibe to find. You should be able to find one on the big auction site, Steven.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Do you have a larger free shutter with flash synch? Front mount the lens and Volute shutter. Use the apeture on the Volute and shutter & synch on the bigger shutter.

Otherwise, search for SPDT Switch Without Roller Model: 275-016 | Catalog #: 275-016 in Radio Shack. Very minimal force is needed to complete the circuit. I have used a similar switch to add flash synch to a Packard Shutter.

Kirk

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin