Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,908   Posts: 1,584,615   Online: 871

Shooter
    Med. Format RF

4X5 sheet films safe device

Hi everybody,

I'm relatively new in LF photography.
    I want to know what do you use to protect film when you remove them from negative holders but you are not ready to process them? I saw some boxes from B&H but the smallest was something like 8 X 10. Is there some specific device to conserve 4X5 sheet film before processing? I already bought a changing bag.

Thank you for suggedtions

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Freestyle has opaque black plastic bags and white cardboard outer envelopes. They're sold for mailing but work great for this. I have one for each type of film and different processing so, for example, when I unload film I can't process yet it will go into black plastic bags that are then put into envelopes labeled "TMY N-1" or "Foma 400 N" or whatever. Cheap, easy and effective:

I use the bags made for 4x5 but put them in 5x7 envelopes because they don't seem to have 4x5 envelopes:

http://www.freestylephoto.biz/4135-B...for-Mailer-4x5

http://www.freestylephoto.biz/4120-P...ite-Mailer-5x7

Oh yes, in spite of what the description says, I've found that the black plastic IS light tight if carefully folded over and sealed. It's hard to get it sealed unless it's held closed by the envelope though because tapes I've tried won't stick to the plastic reliably.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I just use empty three part film boxes.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Empty three-way boxes that the film comes in.
    Obviously, when just starting out, you won't have spare empty boxes.
    I was unsuccessful in finding empty boxes when I started into LF, so I made my own from shoe boxes and duct tape.
    Empty a new box of film in your dark bag, keeping the film in the Mylar envelopes or loading into film holders,
    then replicate from that three-way box as a pattern.
    Gather the kids or grand kids around the kitchen table and make it a family affair.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Thank you very much

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You used to be able to go to a decent lab and get some empty film boxes.
    I guess that's out of the question these days.

If you were in the US I could send you one or two. Maybe ask around to some friendly Canuck 4x5 shooters?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Same as eddie. Save the packaging and boxes the film came in and if special note is necessary put it on masking tape on the box since you will probably be opening it in the dark. It's best to leave it in the film holders if possible to minimize handling. Process asap.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I use an old black plastic bag that 8x10 photographic paper comes in. I always keep black tape on me incase of bellows repairs that i use to tape it up.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I now have enough holders that I usually leave them in the holder until I'm ready to process them. Otherwise, same as Eddie and others - the empties that film came in originally.

Dan

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin