Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,336   Posts: 1,537,569   Online: 1083

Shooter
    Med. Format RF

found a large format roller blind type shutter

I bought a shutter assembly, not a Packard type, it has a 2 blind device which has 1/25 1/20 1/18 1/15 plus B. It is mahogany and german silver. There are no makers' marks. It can attach to about a 1 and 7/8 inch lens.

I would like to find out some information, cannot post a picture yet

David

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Perhaps it is a Thornton-Pickard.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Well I should have thought of Thornton-Pickard... I searched and found this page:
    http://www.lostlabours.co.uk/photogr...d_shutters.htm
    And sure enough it matches one of the intact examples except that the hardware is mostly Nickel Silver rather than Brass (nickel silver being more durable) The escapement is almost identical... And mine is in decent condition.... Wahoo! I wonder how much it is worth... It works well there is a slight crease in the second curtain but it doesn't affect the function.

David

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    So then I read that there were some Japanese copies of Thornton Pickard shutters and I began to wonder...
    There is no Thornton Pickard name on the device and no "Made in England"... Back when the shutter was made, England was the technology leader, Japan, not so much. The quality of the woodworking is fine, the machining of the nickel silver strip, a little uneven. Hmmmm.
    (David)

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    The value depends mostly on condition. I've seen them go in the range of $30 (needing curtain replaced) to around $150 (pristine).
    They are still very useful for LF shooters who use superior process lenses (like the APO-Nikkor and APO-Ronar). Used ones in good
    condition sell in the $70-$100 range.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin