Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,556   Posts: 1,545,083   Online: 1029

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Getting DOF straight

I have one lens that is used on 4x5 and 8x10.
    Caltar II-N (aka Sironar N) 240mm.

To focus on subject X would require the same bellows draw from either camera.
    http://www.bobatkins.com/photography...l/dofcalc.html
    Yet DOF calculators take into regard the film format. Should they?
    If the lens is set for f32 then the in-focus area remains the same, does it not?
    What am I missing?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've been wondering about that myself. They also use a different circle of confusion between 4x5 and 8x10. I assume this is because your not expected to enlarge as much.

Shooter
    35mm
    The Circle of confusion used in each calculation differs for each format size. because the "expected" enlargement factor used for viewing the images differ. It is solely the COF factor that changes the DOF calculation.
    Of course the physical focus properties do not change.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Walk the 4x5 camera back until the field of view is the same as with the 8x10 camera. When you re-focus, your depth of field will have changed, because the camera to subject distance has changed.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Large Format
    DOF is a function of:

Aperture number = N

Circle of confusion = c (usually taken as 1/1500 the diagonal of the image rectangle on film)

Magnification = m

Focal length = f

For a lens that covers multiple formats, DOF must be calculated for each format. The DOF formulas must consider the format (determines the value c).

This is a reasonable explanation of the circle of confusion and why it varies by format.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circle_of_confusion

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Don't over think this stuff, I use view cameras from 6x9 cm to 11x14". Tilt until it's fairly sharp, focus on the middle, stop down enough and you'll be OK. It's a visual art not mathematical...EC

Shooter
    Multi Format
    +1 on the above.

walking the camera back isn't going to change the DOF if the bellows draw is the same.
    When you talk theory or practicality the math may change but the DOF as viewed should be the same for a given aperture.
    As an example look at the same scene, with the two different cameras, same lens. DOF should be the same.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CollinB View Post
    Yet DOF calculators take into regard the film format. Should they?
    As others have stated, that's because they use different Circle of Confusion (CoC) sizes for different film formats, based on the assumption that larger formats will undergo less enlargement, so a larger CoC on the film is acceptable.

I personally think that's nonsense, but nobody asked me.

- Leigh
    “Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.” - Plato

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin