Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,474   Posts: 1,570,975   Online: 834

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

The number is no longer his, so sorry. But Cindy did have some process lenses.

I've got a 450 Nikkor M on my 12x20----wonderful lens that goes for about 1/3rd the price of a 19" f7.7 Dagor(which is the holy grail of ULF shooters) I suspect that the coverage of the Nikkor will allow for great movements than the 355 G-Claron but since I don't have a 355, I can't say that for a fact, however the used Nikkor is nearly always substantially less costly than the G-Claron, so all things being equal----? There are a couple of protars that will generously cover 12x20 but I don't have the series numbers handy. Sandy King has posted that info on Tuan's Large Format forum so a search there would turn up a goldmine of info. I've heard that some of the really old 12" Dagors will cover 12x20 but I'd be concerned about sharpness in the corners(especially if it my only lens!) I have a 12 incher(ahem,...lens I mean!) that I'll check out as soon as I can cobble up a lensboard for it, but don't get me wrong, I'm very happy with the 450 NIkkor M on 12x20.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A nice 30 inch Artar would do nicely.

Alas, not enough bellows on a 12x20 F&S for a 30", though perhaps you could have some modifications made to handle that chunk of glass.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian
    I've got a 450 Nikkor M on my 12x20----wonderful lens that goes for about 1/3rd the price of a 19" f7.7 Dagor(which is the holy grail of ULF shooters) I suspect that the coverage of the Nikkor will allow for great movements than the 355 G-Claron but since I don't have a 355, I can't say that for a fact, however the used Nikkor is nearly always substantially less costly than the G-Claron, so all things being equal----?
    Below 300mm the only commonly avilable lens that will cover is the Schneider 210 SSXL, but big and expensive. A 270mm Series IV or Series V Protar would aslo cover, small but rare and expensive on ebay. In the 300mm range there is the Fujinon-A (rare, large, but covers well with movement), the Computar (rare, small and covers well with movement) and the 300mm Dagor (common and small but only select specimens will cover 12X20, mainly very old ones, and even then just barely, and the imge is very soft on the corners). The 355mm G-Claron covers, but just barely and affords little or no movement. The old Schneider Symmar 355mm, convertible version, will also cover 12X20" and with an aperture of f/5.6 really lights up the ground glass. The 450mm Nikkor-M covers wonderfully and is still a wide-angle lens for this format, plus it typically is fairly inexpensive.

Above 600mm virtually all lenses will cover well, but bellows draw of the Korona limits useful lenses to 600mm or less.

For value I would rate the 450mm Nikkor-M as the best all around performer for 12X20" and if I were limited to only one lens it would be my choice.

Sandy

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I just saw a show at the Art Institute in Chicago by Art Sinsabaugh called "american horizons". He used a 12x20 banquet camera which they had on display.

great show. get the book by the same name.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin