Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,697   Posts: 1,669,716   Online: 843

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format

How do you carry your 8x10 holders?

Hello all, I am just getting back into shooting LF and I'm working out all the little stuff about carrying and accessing my gear. I think I'm pretty squared away, but in case i missed anything, how do you all carry your holders, and while we're at it, your loupe, meter, compass, viewing filter etc?

I appreciate your sage wisdom and advice.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Usually in a Lowe Pro Super Trekker

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesper View Post
    Usually in a Lowe Pro Super Trekker
    Sweet, that looks really compact.
    DanQuan.com

Life is short. Break the rules. Forgive quickly. Kiss slowly. Love truly. Laugh uncontrollably and never regret anything that made you smile!”
    ― Robert Doisneau

JLP
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Tamrac Explorer 8. Holds 7 lenses (some are tiny) and all the other small gadgets but not filmholders. Cary the filmholders in a shoulder bag.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by JLP View Post
    Tamrac Explorer 8. Holds 7 lenses (some are tiny) and all the other small gadgets but not filmholders. Cary the filmholders in a shoulder bag.
    I suppose I should have started, huh...

B&J 8x10 w/ext rail, cloth and my only lens live inside a Tenba case, I think it's an old projector case.

Film holders and a Domke holder of filters go in a Mountainsmith Tour FX with a no slip Kata strap, it holds 7 comfortably.

758DR, small gray card, Palm e2, compass, Tiffen viewing filter, wista loupe and ViewCatcher all go in a Camelbak FlashFlo and are each tethered with badgemates.

And if need be this can also fit in a North Face Alpha Aurora which also carries the tripod, but its heavy and i'm old.

So, what am I missing or overlooking?
    Last edited by Dan Quan; 10-15-2011 at 12:01 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    DanQuan.com

Life is short. Break the rules. Forgive quickly. Kiss slowly. Love truly. Laugh uncontrollably and never regret anything that made you smile!”
    ― Robert Doisneau

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Tamrac Explorer 8 is a nice backpack (I use one for 4x5) but it is too small for an 8x10 set.
    The Super Trekker is just large enough for a Wista Field 8x10 setup but I doubt it holds a bench camera (ok, I carry some large lenses like Super Angulon 165/8 and Symmar 360/5,6).

You might need an assistant.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sounds like you have a very similar camera to my kit. (B&J 8x10, extension rails, etc.) Everyting, camera, holders, accessories fits into a Calumet case of roughly 18"x14"x22". I regularly take my this kit into the field in a Schwinn bicycle trailer. The trailer works well as a push cart and folds up well into the back of my car. Using this, I can negotiate just about any terrain and get to locations I would never be able to carry my kit to.
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For the holders by themselves - a cheap vinyl briefcase

JLP
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Tamrac Explorer 8 is a nice backpack (I use one for 4x5) but it is too small for an 8x10 set.
    That's interesting! Happy that my 8x10 Chamonix doesn't know that because it's been carried around in an Expedition 8 for 4 years.

The B&J is another story, had one of thoes and you would relly need to invest in a Donkey or a Sherpa. I am not aware of any backpack that is large enough.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have an old Lowe Pro backback that came with a separate laptop bag. It's a shoulder bag but fits 8x10 holders perfectly...same sort of rectangular shape.
    Not sure how practical it is to have a separate bag just for the holders but it works for me. I can fit 4 or 5 in there - lots of camera bags/backpacks have laptop holders or compartments now.
    "Never criticize someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes. That way, you're a mile away and you've got their shoes."

MY BLOG - www.reservedatalltimes.com
    YOU SHOULD LOOK AT THIS SITE - www.colincorneau.com
    INSTAGRAM: colincorneau

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin