Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,898   Posts: 1,584,343   Online: 779

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    jbj

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by wfwhitaker
    Did I read somewhere of turning the front standard hardware around so that the front standard tilts forward instead of backward? I've never owned a Graphic (rather surprising, actually...), so have never had the opportunity of testing that idea. But forward tilt would be much more useful in a field camera application.

-Will
    Yes, I've heard of people doing this modification:

http://www.lonelycamera.com/graphictilt.html

But an easier way, in my opinion is to drop the bed and then use the limited movements that it has already. In effect using drop bed and back tilt and rise to achieve front tilt, it takes longer to explain that to do...here are some illustrations:

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ras/pacemaker/

http://www.graflex.org/speed-graphic/features.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a later model Crown Graphic Special with the 135 Xenar lens, which is what the camera was cammed for when I bought it. It has the top rangefinder which is less bulky than the Kalart models, so I have left it on. I picked up a 6x9 rollfilm back for it and just put a few marks on the ground glass to give me a reference for the 6x9 format, and it works fine. I looked at the Graflex website to see how to make cams for other lenses but I find that using the ground glass for focusing is just fine for my purposes. The nice thing about the whole package is that it fits into an old LowePro bag with a few film holders, extra lenses, and a meter, which I find is a great travel package.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Crown Graphic-1.jpg  
    Brian McDowell

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I made the front tilt modification to by BabyGraphic. I have a piccy of the beauty and the modification at http://home.pacbell.net/mkirwan/baby_graphic.htm

I think the "Baby" is really underrated and now that sheet film is available (thanks J&C) a few holders a roll film back you have a great camera.

- Mike

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

stripping a press camera

I stripped the rangefinder off of my Busch Pressman. It really made it compact.

I have since stripped the viewfinder and wire frame as well.

I am going to add a standard accesory shoe soon so I can use acessory viewfinders, flashes, etc.

I also have a century graphic (2x3) which I have kept the rangefinder on it. I have used the century hand-held a few times, but I prefer to use it with a monopod. The century is a kick-ass system. I have the 80mm Xenotar and a 47mm Super Angulon. The rangefinder is calibrated to the 80mm and the distance scales are set for the 47mm, which I just use at the hyperfocal.

www.cozinephoto.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I actually like the rangefinder.

Then again, right now, I am rigging one up with a laser pointer so I can focus without looking through it. A neat feature if you want to shoot "snaps" with it.
    Official Photo.net Villain
    ----------------------
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]DaVinci never wrote an artist's statement...[/FONT]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I guess I understand why folks do this, but it just makes me sad. Graflex cameras will never be made again, and with each passing year, the number of serviceable cameras grows smaller and smaller. Each Graflex could potentially have many owners before it goes to that great repository in the sky or is canabalized so that others might live. I consider myself a mere custodian of my Crown Graphic. Stripping it down or modifying it seems to me like buying a fine victorian home and making massive changes to the floor plan, covering the outside with vinyl siding and putting astroturf on the lawn.

I guess I'm sort of an extremist about this. Maybe one day I'll change my mind, but not anytime soon. I don't even like folks cutting barrel lenses in half to put shutters in. I look forward to the day when there are contemporary film holders like the graphmatic that hold 10-12 sheets but have a built-in focal plane shutter so extremists like me can use barrel lenses on their Crown (if they don't want to get a Speed, that is).

-KwM-

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hey kw I own a few hundred of the graphic cameras, and have the opportunity to purchase quite a few each month, I think the original inventors of these cameras would be very happy to see they keep going on and on and are still very usuable cameras..

They are great and lend themselves to so many different variations.

Dave Parker
    Ground Glass Specialties
    Satin Snow(TM) Ground Glass

Shooter
    Multi Format
    i too have stripped everything off my crowngraphic (except the sports finder - i find it a quick and handy way to figure where to set things up) and it works fantastically. using the 127mm ektar - though i'd like to get another lens or two.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for all the great replies! It is fun seeing what others have done to their graphics to turn them into field cameras. I was ata camera swap yesterday, looking for a lensboard with a smaller hole (to mount a Kodak anastaigmat lens) for my graphic. A guy had a box filled with them - all used, of course. $20 each. At that point I told him no wonder he has a box full...no thanks.
    Mark O'Brien -
    At the home of Argus cameras...Ann Arbor, MI
    http://www.geocities.com/argusmaniac/

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Two important questions:

1. What kind of flash bracket?

2. Is it for sale?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin