Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,836   Posts: 1,582,401   Online: 877

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LF Workshops?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

LF Workshops?

Hey Large Guys,

Well I use a smaller camera (feeling a little inadequate here), but wanted to know if any of you know of LF Intro workshops in the New England/NYC area. I looked into ICP, but they don't have any.

Regards, Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Shooter
    4x5 Format

LF Workshops

You could try Ron Wisner. He offers a few workshops at various location around the country,with one being in New England somewhere..You can get more details from his website at www.wisner.com .

View Camera magazine is doing a conference on large format next May 20-22 in Springfield, MA. There will be several seminars and panels that wil be helpful. The info link is

http://www.viewcamera.com/pdf/2004/LFC%2005%20info.pdf

ICP is talking with Gordon Hutchings about doing a workshop in NYC sometime next Spring as well

There are several articles in the Free Articles section of the web site that might also be helpful.

steve simmons
    Last edited by steve simmons; 10-28-2004 at 08:24 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Images
    here is a toast to not starting a pissing match.

Art, good luck with your quest.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gr82bart
    Hey Large Guys,

He he....yeah....large guys! cool!
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Michael Smith and Paula Chamlee do a very good course called "Vision and Technique" I have done it, and spent time with them both, can recommend it very highly. They are in Bucks County, Pennsylvania.

http://www.michaelandpaula.com/mp/index_skip.html
    David Boyce

When bankers get together for dinner, they discuss art. When artists get together for dinner, they discuss money. Oscar Wilde Blog fp4.blogspot.com

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Art,

I know that Richard Ritter has some workshops, but I don't know if any are for beginner LF use. Carl Weese is up there, his workshops are more for pt/pd printing, but they are worth a look. Maine Photographic Workshops runs a few each year that would probably be suitable.

Look for some workshops at the Peters Valley Craft Education Center (northern New Jersey). They run a bunch each year, and should have an intro course.

Look at your local community college, they sometimes have this type of mini-class to offer. If you are willing to go further afield, there are many, many to choose from.

I do strongly encourage you to go the LF Conference in Springfield next year, as it will give you the opportunity to see lots of LF discussions, photographs, and equipment from vendors. There is no doubt that the vendors section is the best opportunity in the US to actually see and try out some of the equipment that you may have read about in the magazines or on the internet. That alone is worth the effort to get there.

---Michael
    www.mutmansky.com
    B&W photography in Silver, Palladium, and gum bichromate.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Mutmansky
    Art,

I do strongly encourage you to go the LF Conference in Springfield next year, ---Michael
    Which Springfield?

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Springfield, Massachusetts. It's not too terribly far from New Haven, so it would be a great opportunity for Art to get LOTS of LF exposure with little effort.

---Michael
    www.mutmansky.com
    B&W photography in Silver, Palladium, and gum bichromate.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Art,

Look at the local colleges. The advantage there is that you will be taking a course spread out over two or three months rather than a day or weekend. You have time to think and practice. Any good course will start simply and build in complexity over time. If you have difficulty at any stage you have time to get help and build your abilities.

In this local area Cleveland-Akron_Kent, OH we have two two year colleges offering everything from Intro Photo, LF technical how to, platinum contact printing, enlarging negatives digitally for contact printing. In four year colleges Akron Univ has a photo major which includes Intro and Advanced LF as well as eight levels of Fine Art Photography. They even have 4x5 studio cameras and lighting for the students to use. Kent State Univ. has Photo Journalism. Courses at most of these places are offered day and evening to fit your schedule.

In OH if you are over 60 (I'm 64) you pay fees only in a State funded college. The $836
    Advanced B&W course I am taking now costs the old guys $136. Even my wife says we can afford that.

John Powers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin