Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,946   Posts: 1,585,845   Online: 1077

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: view camera?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by marko_trebusak
    Hi LF photographers, I'm looking for my first large format camera, and I have a question for you:

There is a lot of talking about field cameras of all sorts, but what about monorails for field use? I took a look at designs of Arca-Swiss, Sinar and Toho, and something is not going together. There is always a talk, that monorails have all the movements, but it seems to me that all of this tree only have base tilts on both standards??? Of course I only see those cameras on net. Can someone send some light in, please?

Marko
    I have both a field camera (Toyo 45AII) and a monorail (Omega 45D), and have used both in the field. The Omega is fine, but way overkill for the field. The Toyo is much better; the 45AII is the best of the Toyo line IMO. It has most of the movements (including rear tilt) that you could need, and I really like the rotating back and folding hood.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Yaw occurs when the platform upon which the swing happens is tilted. This causes the standard (front or rear) to cock which interfers with a perfect Scheimpflug relationship. This is true with any camera. If you keep the platform/rail level all cameras are yaw free.

steve simmons

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by roteague
    I have both a field camera (Toyo 45AII) and a monorail (Omega 45D), and have used both in the field. The Omega is fine, but way overkill for the field. The Toyo is much better; the 45AII is the best of the Toyo line IMO. It has most of the movements (including rear tilt) that you could need, and I really like the rotating back and folding hood.
    I too have the Omega 45D. Yes, it's a bit heavy, but carried for moderate distances, it's not that big a deal. Thing is...it's a lot less expensive than the 45AII and it's so complete that you will never want for anything other than printed or graven scales and such. One Weston or another said that anything further than 100 yards from the car is not photogenic anyway...so save the bucks on the camera and save up for some spectacular lenses.
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by marko_trebusak
    There is a lot of talking about field cameras of all sorts, but what about monorails for field use? I took a look at designs of Arca-Swiss, Sinar and Toho, and something is not going together. There is always a talk, that monorails have all the movements, but it seems to me that all of this tree only have base tilts on both standards??? Of course I only see those cameras on net. Can someone send some light in, please?

Marko
    Have you thought about a Calumet Cadet? It's an inexpensive, axis tilt, relatively lightweight monorail with all the movements you will ever need.

G.
    Wilbert
    http://www.photovergne.com
    Cours photo en Auvergne

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    The toyo 45cx is another lightweight monorail(8lbs or so). and relatively inexpensive. I got mine last year w 210mm lense, darkcloth and case for about 500.00 on ebay. No regrets. and I do take it in the field often.

Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Last night I processed some negs from my Calumet Cadet that I shot 2 weeks ago up at the Quabbin (I'll make that place famous - or infamous - one of these days!! ).
    Like Gilbert said, it is versatile, inexpensive and light weight.
    Good luck with your search. We'll soon have another adicted to large format!

gene
    gene LaFord

Long live Ed "Big Daddy" Roth!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I don't care about Milwaukee or Chicago." - Yvon LeBlanc

Shooter
    Large Format
    I use a toyo 45 AII but my children take my 45D and 45E to the field. We just pull the rail and wrap the cameras in the darkcloth and put them in backpacks. I even take my 810G broken down in a paded suitcase up to one mile from the jeep on flat ground but I would love to replace it with an 810M.
    DIGITAL IS FOR THOSE AFRAID OF THE DARK.

Shooter
    Large Format
    P.S. Ditto on spending the money on great glass first.
    DIGITAL IS FOR THOSE AFRAID OF THE DARK.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by raucousimages
    I use a toyo 45 AII.
    Are you still using the stock ground glass that comes with the camera? I got a Nikkor-SW 90mm F8 lens that I like, but it is so dark that it is difficult to use. I'm wondering if a new ground glass would be money well spent, or wasted.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    For a light weight field cammera with all needed movements, my recommendation is Tachinhara. Don't let the low price fool you.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin