Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,952   Posts: 1,586,002   Online: 812

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: view camera?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

view camera?

Hi LF photographers, I'm looking for my first large format camera, and I have a question for you:

There is a lot of talking about field cameras of all sorts, but what about monorails for field use? I took a look at designs of Arca-Swiss, Sinar and Toho, and something is not going together. There is always a talk, that monorails have all the movements, but it seems to me that all of this tree only have base tilts on both standards??? Of course I only see those cameras on net. Can someone send some light in, please?

Marko

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    There is a lot of talking about field cameras of all sorts, but what about monorails for field use?
    The largest issue(s) for field use is portability/weight. Field cameras, by their design allow for quick setup and tear down. While monorails can and are used in the field, they take longer to put together on site.

For most field use, only some movements are usually used. Front tilt, Front rise etc... The flexibility that a monorail can provide usually isn't taken advantage of... Where monorails really shine is in the studio commercially.

I guess it really depends on what you shoot, and what you feel comfortable with... What subject matter do you want to shoot with this equipment?

joe

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    There are monorails designed to be compact and relatively lightweight for field use--Gowland PocketView, Toho, Arca-Swiss F-line, Technikardan. It's really a matter of personal preference and priorities. I use both.

I find that I like using my folding Technika when I'm shooting in the city, because I can set up quickly, use a folding hood instead of a darkcloth, and move on before attracting a crowd or the tripod police.

I like the Gowland PocketView (I have an 8x10" and a 4x5") when I'm out shooting landscapes, and I'm usually waiting for the light, the wind to slow down, etc. And with practice, setup becomes quicker and easier.

The three cameras you mention, I believe, all have rise/shift/tilt/swing on both standards with options regarding features like base tilts vs. axial tilts, Orbix, etc. Maybe you're missing something in the descriptions.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Perhaps I didn't make myself clear: I wonder if those monorails have axis tilts or just base tilts. The standards are only supported from below, so I guess that they only have base tilts. So how important are axis tilts for a field use compared with additional bulk of axis tilts?

Marko

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    So how important are axis tilts for a field use compared with additional bulk of axis tilts?
    Axis and base tilt both accomplish the same thing in the end. By tilting off the base, you will likely have to also refocus the camera.

joe

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    You might also have to recompose with base tilts, but base tilts are yaw-free, so they prevent tail-chasing situations where the camera never seems to get square. You can get used to either method.

The Gowland PocketView and Technikardan have axis tilts. The Arca and Sinar have different options, so it depends on which model and accessories you're looking at.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb
    I find that I like using my folding Technika when I'm shooting in the city, because I can set up quickly, use a folding hood instead of a darkcloth, and move on before attracting a crowd or the tripod police.
    This is kind of OT.

The tripod police is the main reason I haven't been to our local botanical garden in a while. You can't take your tripod into any of the buildings and you must have a tripod permit. There's no charge for it, but I feel weird with this big yellow tag on my tripod. Heaven forbid I look like a professional (bigger camera must mean professional to them) or else I'd probably have to pay to take shots at all.

Rant over.
    Diane

Halak 41

Here is a link to some reading that might be helpful

http://www.viewcamera.com/archives.html

These are on the View Camera web site and this link will take you to several articles that will help you decide what features you need in a camera.

Here are some additinal resources

User's Guide to the View Camera by Jim Stone
    Using the View Cmera that I wrote forAmphoto
    Large Format Nature Photography by Jack Dyking

If you have any additional questions I willbe happy to answer them

steve simmons

but base tilts are yaw-free,

This is not necessarily true.Axis tilts can also be yaw free. Yaw occurs when the platform upon which th swing occur is tilted up or down. If you leave the camera level then all cameras are yaw free.

steve simmons

Images
    Thanks steve. I have been looking for a description of what yaw meant.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin