Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,224   Posts: 1,532,561   Online: 1038

Shooter
    35mm

Old brass lenses, help finding info

Hi,

I know squat about LF. I also stumbled upon a pile of old brass lenses that I am trying to identify and then see what to do with them. I've gone through hours of browsing through various internet sites and forums hoping to find more info, with very little luck. Probably because I was like a first grader who got into a university level class - I probably wouldn't know if they talked about one of the lenses in my possession, unless they used detailed descriptions together with everything that's engraved into the barrels...

Any help would be appreciated. I'll be happy if you just direct me to the place where I can find info. I will do the rest. Of course, if you want to tell me what you know, that would be fantastic.

Here's a link to some pictures of some of these. Pictures are not good and don't tell much as I was in a rush and didn't make them with intention to show them asking for help. I will make more and from better angles, but this is all that I have at the moment.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/63348187@N02/

For example, there are several Voigtlander & Sohn lenses. Three of them are huge (from perspective of a 35mm shooter), but one is Portrait Objective (no.6B I think), one is Euryscop (no.5) and one is Portrait Euryscop (no.6A). What are the differences between these, any important? What focal lengths? Are they all 11x14?

Another is Zwierzina Plasticca 450mm f/4. Kunst-Portrait-Objektiv (looks like "portrait" was the hot word back then). That one is for 11x14 too - that's all I know. At first I thought it was an enlarger lens...

Rodenstock Bistigmat is for 18x24 (I know because it says so on the barrel) but it looks like you can change its focal length using the little lever on the side... and it's very pretty is all I know.

Thanks.

(edit) Disclaimer: This is not a shameless (or shameful) plug as the lenses are in a small country that has no LF market and shipping from it would be problematic.
    Last edited by OldBodyOldSoul; 12-13-2011 at 04:59 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Hi,

This is probably the best site in which to find the information you're looking for:

http://www.antiquecameras.net/petzvallens.html

...just scroll through the various lens types at the top of the page. Otherwise purchase the Lens Vade Mecum for precise info for $15

http://www.antiquecameras.net/lensvademecum.html

On a side note, if you're ever looking to sell the Plasticca 450mm, I'd be interested

Good luck!
    Last edited by craigt; 12-13-2011 at 07:30 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: spelling

Shooter
    35mm Pan
    Nice collection Boris! Just find some 18x24cm or 8x10" camera for all those lenses and start shooting. Are you in Slovenia?
    Goran

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks Craig. I've been on that site before, but didn't find that page (I did find the voigtlander catalogue though). Looks promising. Thanks again!

Shooter
    35mm
    Goran, among other things there are cameras of various formats. Problem is (or "problem" for all of you), some of them I had (or still have) to recognize as such as they are taken apart so boards, shutters and lenses everywhere...

Oh, and it's not Slovenia but two borders to the east (Serbia).

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    That is a very exciting group of lenses.

There are images at my pages from most of these.

Good luck!

Jim (where are my little green men when I need them) Galli
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Images
    I'd like to own a couple.... the plasticca - the portrait eyroscop... must stop looking....

Shooter
    35mm
    gandolfi, would you tell me why Plasticca? I don't think there was one person who saw the collection that didn't mention Plasticca as something they would like to try.
    Teach the ignorant masses (of one), please!

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Images
    I am not an expert (you can get much more qualified answers on Lf forum...), but I own a smaller plasticca (280mm) and I love it to bits. a "cheap" soft focus lens from the 20ties or 30ties. LOTS of distortion - not easy to use, but you can see some examples of what I have done with it here:

http://www.emilschildt.com/OLD%20LENS%20images01.htm

The plasticca is not very common, so it is highly sought.

(If you're in Serbia, I know people there who are in LF world.....)

(LF Forum search on plasticca - have fun... : http://www.largeformatphotography.in...archid=5360142 )

Shooter
    35mm
    Thank you gandolfi, that is very helpful.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin