Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,879   Posts: 1,520,425   Online: 930

Shooter
    Multi Format

Possibly buying a Sinar F2, what should I check out

I know someone who is selling a Sinar F2, 2 Caltar lenses, Bino Reflex Hood, Standard and Wide Angle Bellows for around $500 US.

I am going to check the equipment out in a day or two as this seems a very good price for the kit.

Can anyone give me some pointers on what I should check out on the F2 to make sure it is good order; I am unfamiliar with this unit and my only 4x5 experience is with a Field Camera.

thanks in advance

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It turns out the seller had sent it all off to one of the big camera shops/buyers but they would not pay him the $500 so I was next in line when he got the kit back. Then he renegotiated with the camera shop and got the price he wanted.
    So, I guess no Sinar F2 for me.

Funny my mis-posted thread in the wrong forum got more answers though; no complaints though as I have learned tons of other stuff in this forum.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I am waffeling on selling my F1 system... Haven't used in more than a year, although I quoted something for TRW in January where it would be of use, will see if they bite.

Regarding checking... mostly make sure everthing locks down ok and doesn't wobble around. The lens shutters are likely the only thing to cause problems you can't fix. As long as nothing is over tightend the standared don't wear out. Bellows for pin-holes and look for gouges around the bellows frames or bent metal that lock them in. There are easy to abuse if you force things or dont' know how to use them.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Ooh, was about to offer some stuff to check and saw the second post. Sorry mate.
    F series and even the p or more rarely, the c series show up on eBay.even an e showed up once.
    The f is the entry, the p is the deluxe geared, and the c is the back of a p stuck to the front of an f, and the e is an electronic p with an attached computer.
    A C2 (well, what I got mine for) sells for about $600.
    A P2 can hit a grand, and an F2 generally is the cheapest. The E2 is failed to sell at around $6000, but that may be because of the old tower computer required to operate it, and the very high cost of any parts for it (easily double the cost of P2 parts when it was new, and they still make P2 parts.)
    1 series of any of those are bright metal instead of black, and the knobs are different.
    Good luck though, sinar makes really nice cameras.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    VPWPhoto,
    Thanks for the tips on what to look at.

Discoman,
    Thanks for the explanation of the various models.

I'll keep my eyes open for another Sinar or similar and both your posts will be useful.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin