Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,701   Posts: 1,482,627   Online: 749

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a Pacemaker Speed Graphic and a Graflex Model D, that I purchased to get back into LF. The choices were based on wanting 4"x5" cameras that can be hand held. The Model D has not movements; although the 1919 RB Auto Graflex had rise, unfortunately it was both a 3 1/4" x 4 1/4" camera and a shelf queen. I use the limited movement to learn about them and see it I am interested in a view camera in the future. Before purchasing these, I considered the Hasselblad FlexBody and the Hasselblad ArcBody since I already have Hasselblads. I decided to buy the Pacemaker Speed Graphic to learn about the movements, because it was hand holdable and much less expensive and risky than buying a Hasselblad FlexBody, which is also movement limited, at a much higher price.

I am still in the learning phase.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hello Dan Fromm;
    I realize the short comings on the Super. In my case never have to use a wide angle, the 127mm Ektar has met my needs. With the 127mm at infinity there is 1 1/8" plus left on the track. Confident that an 90mm WF Optar could be mounted without a recessed board and work great. Dan pointed out that he wanted a camera for portrait work. So my guess is he will be using 180mm to 210mm lens and the lateral shift and swing of the front standard would keep the eyes in focus in shooting the lens wide open. The rotating back allows for vertical position without mounting the camera on its side. The resale value really helps also. Best regards, Steven.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I have a Super Graphic and a Toyo 45AX. Both have a 15-degree tilt, and can be tilted further by dropping the bed. Fact is, the Toyo folds up by laying the front standard on the bed. There are also many monorail cameras made for outdoor use, like the Orbit, which has a handle on the top.

Since you are shooting medium format now, try this for an exercise: put a long lens on your camera, open it up wide, and then just look at something at portrait distance. Point the camera down, and just keep one section in focus in the upper portion of the viewfinder. Now, how far down did you move the camera to get the image like you wanted it? 15 degrees is actually a lot.

Patrick Messina uses a view camera, but I didn't see an article about what model. It really doesn't matter, though. You need something with decent front movements. Is there a store near you where you can try something out? Or how about getting together with a forum member?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Just tilt your paper under the enlarger. You'll get more out-of-focus entertainment than you ever thought possible
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by keithwms View Post
    Just tilt your paper under the enlarger. You'll get more out-of-focus entertainment than you ever thought possible
    there you go keith !

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by keithwms View Post
    And it looks different than when you do it in the camera. Actually presoak your paper so it is all floppy and drape it over stuff on your baseboard. You'll get some wild stuff. Works better if you have a couple of scotches first.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

dpn
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Thanks all for the continuing vibrant discussion!

I've been out of commission with the flu for the past couple of days, but I wanted to share some shots I found on Flickr that illustrate what a press camera is capable of, at least for portraiture. Again, my apologies for my unfamiliarity with the terms used to describe movements and their effects, but there looks like there's *something* going on in these shots beyond just bokeh. Or, maybe it's just my imagination. Per the photographer, these were all shot with an Graflex Speed Graphic | Aero Ektar 7" f2.5:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kenny_ip/5903877583/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kenny_ip/6064620679/

I don't even want to know how hard it is to focus, handheld or mounted, an f/2.5 lens in large format. I had, and sold, a Helios 40-2 because it was quite possibly the most frustrating lens I've ever used -- so many near-misses with focus, even using a tripod, and shooting with a Spotmatic II (which has a darn-fine, bright view).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The first flickr photo looks pretty straight without tilt/shift/swing. Swing could be used on this to keep both hands in focus if they were in different planes, as the tilt turns into swing when the camera is put on it's side.

The second photo shows classic scheimpflug tilt, but with the camera on the side it would be swing on the camera. My speed graphic does have some swing, but apparently other pacemakers don't. Here's a link how it's added: http://www.johndesq.com/graflex/swingmod.htm

Shooting LF wide open is challenging. A tripod is helpful at keeping the camera in place. Otherwise the way you hold it to compose and focus might be a few inches different than how you hold it to expose the film. If the subject can stay still (unlike small children), that's a help. If you can put something down that won't show in the photo for them to reference, it's helpful. Such as a coin or golf tee, and tell them to put their big toe over it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Pacemaker Graphics only have up tilt, rise, & side-shift.

However, strangely, that is not as much of a limit as it might seem. Turn the camera to vertical and that becomes swing. Turn the camera upside down and that becomes down tilt., very useful for landscapes.

How do you do that? I use a Manfratto Heavy Duty 3D head, that allows me to position the camera about anyway I want on the tripod.

OK, that is not the easiest way to do things, much better to have a real view camera with front and rear rise, shift, swing, and tilt. But, I use my Graphic 90% as a hand held camera, most serious view cameras do not work very well hand held. On the other hand, finances permitting, nothing says you can not have one of each. Or, a Super Techika or MPP which are press cameras with full movements. A compremise would be a Super Graphic or a Busch Pressman which have full front movements and revolving backs.

In other words, there are workarounds, and other options to get what you want.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin