Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,710   Posts: 1,548,627   Online: 1156

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Cambo SCX question

Quick question... Maybe.

I have a Cambo SCX that someone gifted me. I don't have a front plate for it or lens/shutter. If I wanted to get it up and running on a budget, what would you suggest. I realize this is a bit vague but give me some ideas. I do landscapes and some portraits. I realize this is not a field camera but I could make it work for a while.

Greg

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Greg, the SCX takes the Cambo/Calumet 6-3/8 x 6-3/8 inch lens boards. They are made of metal and when you buy them you buy them with the hole size that is appropriate to teh shutter attached to the lens you will be using. In general, one mounts a les & shutter to a board and leaves it on the board, meaning for 2 lenses you'll need 2 boards with teh appropriate holes.

As far a lens goes, you'll get a lot of varying opinion based on everyones experiences. I landscape mostly with a 135mm and 210 mm Schneider Symar-S. Its a 1980s-era lens that is easily and affordably available. I also have a 90 but don't really like using it too much -- too wide for me. The 135 is just a bit wider than "normal', which is commonly believed to be 150mm for 4x5 format. (Opinions on that vary also... but thats another thread topic!)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    p.s. I take my Cambo monorail to the field. It works out OK as long as you don't go too far on foot.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    So here's an example of something you might want to consider, Greg:

http://www.viewcamerastore.com/servl...r-dsh-S/Detail

The 210 would be good for both landscape and portrature. The shutter is Copal (the maker) #1 (the size).

How the hole sizes translate into measurements are:

Copal O - 34.8 mm.

Copal 1 - 41.8 mm.

Copal 3 - 65.8 mm.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Greg... is this answering your question?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Greg,
    Don't be afraid to take that 'ol SCX on a field trip. My first LF camera was a spankin new SCX. I photographed everywhere with it EXCEPT indoors! It made two extended field trips to California with me and although it is heavy, I found carrying it in one hand by the rail fairly easy. Of course, I was in my 20's at the time.
    John Bowen

Shooter
    Multi Format
    p.s.... Ian... that was good information even if it didn't directly address the original question!

Ditto the 210mm lens. Good for landscape and portraits. A 135 or 150mm is a good second choice for a landscape lens. All three focal lengths are common and affordable.

Peter Gomena

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Yes ! Thank you all for the input. It's been on my lower shelf in a box for 2 years. I have been shooting 4x5 pinhole off and on, but have wanted to mess with something with a lens. I need to sell my digital SLR and get a lens. I have been wanting to get a durst enlarger for 8x10 and just do large format, but it's something that I will work up to... I appreciate the replies.

Greg

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'd find something else to sell if I were you. Do you have a spare left kidney, perhaps? I understand there is a good market for redundant body parts. When you get started with the Cambo I think you'll enjoy it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin