Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,523   Posts: 1,543,813   Online: 754

Shooter
    Large Format

Dimension for full plate (6 1/2 x 8 1/2) holder

Can anyone tell me the distance from the film loading, hinge end to the side of the lock rib nearest the dark slide end of a full plate film holder?

Thanks.

Ed
    "I only wanted Uncle Vern standing by his new car (a Hudson) on a clear day. I got him and the car. I also got a bit of Aunt Mary's laundry, and Beau Jack, the dog, peeing on a fence, and a row of potted tuberous begonias on the porch and 78 trees and a million pebbles in the driveway and more. It's a generous medium, photography." -- Lee Friedlander

Shooter
    Large Format
    There is no standard for whole plate holders; there is considerable variation in both antique and modern holders. There have been several discussions of this over on the Large Format forum, most recently:

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ad.php?t=80644

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You want to know the dimensions of the OUTSIDE?

No... I have several whole plate, half plate and quarter plate cameras. None of them have compatible holders - each is unique to the camera. There may be some sort of standard for the sheet film or for glass plates (but I wouldn't be surprised if that hasn't changed over the years or existed as different standards in different countries or for different purposes) but definitely not holders.
    Steve

Shooter
    Large Format
    I wasn't sure if there had been an ANSI standard set for the size or not. So, I guess not!

Next question: I have a Century Model 46, full plate, ca. 1907-15. Anyone know what the dimensions for their holders are? (And, yes, all I need to know for now is the outside dimensions -- my back is damaged and I want to fix it, but I need to know the dimension mentioned in the original post to fix it.)

Thanks.

Ed
    "I only wanted Uncle Vern standing by his new car (a Hudson) on a clear day. I got him and the car. I also got a bit of Aunt Mary's laundry, and Beau Jack, the dog, peeing on a fence, and a row of potted tuberous begonias on the porch and 78 trees and a million pebbles in the driveway and more. It's a generous medium, photography." -- Lee Friedlander

Shooter
    Large Format
    In case anyone is interested, the 04-23-1907 patent found on some holders listed at

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ad.php?t=80644

is #851,281, which covers a pretty neat light trap for the dark slide.

(Sorry, I love patents and patent drawings, so I had to share. )

Ed

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin